Why doesn't my Butcher do real ribs.

Selection of Pork Recipes

Why doesn't my Butcher do real ribs.

Postby keith157 » 30 May 2013, 12:56

This link is to a youtube video which shows the difference between Uk & US style pig butchery. Whilst the butcher has cut you the nice thick rack of ribs he has also lost all his sales i.e. money on his chops and belly joints which is what most of his customers will be after. So be nice to your butcher and try to understand his position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q85xN-oXG3w
keith157

Re: Why doesn't my Butcher do real ribs.

Postby gunman » 31 May 2013, 19:19

Thats a very interesting vid, thanks for posting it.
gunman
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby chokethechicken » 01 Jun 2013, 21:23

Good vid thanks. Is it just my computer or are the black borders in the vid going keraaazeeee?
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 02 Jun 2013, 05:45

It's the video
keith157

Postby robgunby » 27 Nov 2013, 07:15

This is very interesting and informative. It makes me want to sit down with my butcher and make him watch it!

I have a very obliging, knowledgable butcher, but those crucial differences between UK and US style butchery really make or break a cut of meat!

Next time my farmer friend is slaughtering one of her rare breed pigs I'll take a half pig to my butcher and get him to cut it up US style for me, thanks to the info from this video. Thanks for posting!
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 27 Nov 2013, 10:05

Rob can I suggest you let your butcher know beforehand, give him the link to watch first so he has an idea of what you want. It also may allow him to show his despair and tears in private ;) :D
keith157

Postby aris » 27 Nov 2013, 11:17

I'm sure if you buy half a pig off him, he will cut it any which way you want - or you could even do it yourself.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby robgunby » 27 Nov 2013, 11:51

keith157 wrote:Rob can I suggest you let your butcher know beforehand, give him the link to watch first so he has an idea of what you want.

Yeah I will for sure. He gets quite excited when I go in for supplies for a smoke. Yesterday I picked up a 15lb shoulder of pork, 2 racks of baby backs (I'm the only customer who orders them so he keeps a small stash in his freezer for me!) and a half dozen chicken thighs, all of which are sat on my ECB as I type. He knows exactly how I like my shoulders cut, gets me untrimmed briskets to order, and enthuses about international barbecue styles and sauces. He's a big "Man Vs Food" fan and I've urged him to watch "Diners Drive-Ins and Dives", which imo is a much better watch owing to the fact the owners give you their recipes and there's no stupid eating contests.

I think if I tell him I've got a half pig coming that I want him to butcher US style he would gladly undertake whatever study is necessary! I'm hoping he will also let me use his cold store to make the ham from the hind leg. Oh god yes please, home made brined and smoked ham on the bone...sorry I've gone into dream mode now!
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 27 Nov 2013, 12:33

Firstly Rob, what part of the country are you in, seems like you've struck pay-dirt with your butcher :D

The other thing, if you haven't done so yet check out the DDD website there are hundreds of scrummy recipes from the shows :)
keith157

Postby robgunby » 27 Nov 2013, 13:03

keith157 wrote:Firstly Rob, what part of the country are you in, seems like you've struck pay-dirt with your butcher :D

The other thing, if you haven't done so yet check out the DDD website there are hundreds of scrummy recipes from the shows :)

I am indeed lucky with my butcher. I'm in sunny Sheffield. So maybe not so lucky. But a friendly butcher who has whole shoulders ready to go whenever I pop in, at £1.30 / lb, I'm happy enough!
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Pork