Chinese style grilled pork belly

Selection of Pork Recipes

Chinese style grilled pork belly

Postby Swindon_Ed » 02 Jun 2013, 19:58

So with a weekend off from competitions i felt like cooking something a bit different and whilst in the supermarket i saw a nice piece of pork belly and thought i'd have a go at cooking it Chinese style.

First things first score the skin and pour over some boiling water to open the skin up so it will take more seasoning.

Then chop the belly up into smaller pieces this is so it will cook quicker and also build up more bark on each bit.

Rub the pieces of pork belly with olive oil and then on the skin side sprinkle lightly with salt and Chinese five spice powder.

Then on the meat side sprinkle with five spice powder and then cover the tops with brown sugar (this will help build a good bark and get them sticky).

Let them sit for a hour till the sugar has dissolved into the meat and then place them on the grill in an indirect setup and throw on a small piece of wood for smoke.

Check them after 1 hour and you should have a nice bark set.

Now it's time to make a foil marinade, nice and simple, just 4 cloves of garlic, a finger of ginger, some honey & soy sauce.

Mince the garlic, chop the ginger and add 4 Tbs of honey & 4 Tbs soy then stir it all up. Take a piece of thick foil and place the meat face down in the foil and then pour the marinade over them and put back onto the bbq.

Check again after 30 minutes, the fat should have started to break down and they should start to feel squishy (technical bbq term) then take them off to rest.

Then place the pork bellies back onto the grill direct over the coals to crisp up the edges and whilst it's doing that, strain the foil juices and then place pork bellies onto a bed of rice and spoon over some of the left over juices.
Swindon_Ed

Re: Chinese style grilled pork belly

Postby zammo25 » 02 Jun 2013, 20:05

Looks good that Ed, loves a bit of belly I do!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
zammo25
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 03 Jun 2013, 05:27

Nice twist on a classic, better than sticking the belly uder a grill to crisp up :D
keith157

Postby dobba1988 » 14 Jun 2013, 13:54

looks like some goooood eatinnnn!

love the picture descriptions aswell!!!

Keep up the good work :D
dobba1988
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby AlanL » 02 Jun 2014, 11:32

Gave this ago using Pork Belly Ribs on my WSM over the weekend. I used about 1/2 the amount Soy Sauce as I only had dark and worried it might make the meat too salty. Substituted in some dry sherry too make up the volume of liquid.

Very yummy and will be doing again.
AlanL
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Pork