Basic burger recipe

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Basic burger recipe

Postby KamadoSimon » 30 Mar 2012, 13:03

You have got to love this weather....! BBQ-ing every evening just lifts the spirit.

We tend to like big 'n' beefy burgers in our household - they may not appeal to all, or be the dictionary definition of a burger, but here is how we do them:

- minced beef from our local butchers which is not too lean i.e. it has fat to add flavour but not too much to make cooking them on a BBQ a pain;
    - chop an onion & some garlic finely to add some texture & flavour;
    - the important bit: fry off the onion & garlic & let it cool. We tried doing it without cooking this first & didn't like the texture or taste without this step;
    - mix, by hand, the cooled garlic & onion with the beef & add salt & pepper to taste;
    - form into thick burgers (see piccy below) & leave in the fridge for a few hours or more.

You could of course add all sorts of herbs, dry & wet flavourings as a variation on these, but given this is a 'basic' recipe this forms the base for any experimentation. My wife sometimes adds a little chilli powder, paprika or wholegrain mustard for a subtle change. You can also put some cheese in the center of the burger at this stage if you like that horrible stuff ;-) Often my wife grates some apple and / or carrot into them as well if doing them for the children - but actually quite like them myself as it adds a little sweetness.

Because we make them pretty thick, cooking them requires more time at a slightly lower heat on the BBQ to ensure they get cooked all the way through but not too crispy on the outside - between 20-30 minutes at around 300F, flipped once or twice in the process & then left to rest for 10 minutes at the end.

Some pictures:

KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Basic burger recipe

Postby BigM » 30 Mar 2012, 14:39

Look good si :-) I like homemade burgers lamb and mint is my fave.
Carnt wait for my chepo kamado to come.
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 30 Mar 2012, 15:23

Yep - a lamb version is really good. A little thinner, maybe with some corriander, and then you can get them in a pita bread - delicious!

Any idea when yours will arrive?
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BigM » 30 Mar 2012, 19:56

its on its way been told today they say should be with me for wed-thur . prob is goin away friday for a few days, but bk easter mon then got a week of work to play :) my Kj heat deflecter comin thursday too.
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 31 Mar 2012, 07:12

Nowt wrong with those burgers :D
keith157

Return to Beef