My first brisket

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

My first brisket

Postby KamadoSimon » 26 May 2012, 07:59

Ok - so I've worked up to doing one of these. Read loads of reviews / recipes etc etc But the real way to learn is to get on and do I guess. So, I bought a chicken as well to do beer can chicken in case this didn't work!!!! :roll:

The butcher was awesome - he got a whole brisket for me & said I could have what I wanted from it. The packers had already separated the flat from the point - which I was going to do anyway - so no biggy. I took about a third of the flat & a third of the point (to do burnt ends). If there is any left over I am going to vacuum pack some & take it in for him to try as he was interested in it. Uncooked, it weighed 2.7kg (near enough 6lbs) - not sure if that is small, big or what. But looks like a lot of meat!

The half brisket was injected with beef stock - about a pint of it went in fairly easily. I just used an Oxo stock cube & water given that when diluted & not reduced they are not too salty.

Then it was covered in French's Mild mustard (all sides) and then on the fat cap it was given a liberal dump of freshly cracked pepper & rock salt as well as some finely chopped fresh rosemary & thyme.

Wrapped each bit in cling-film & popped into the fridge over night.

Onto the Kamado Joe this morning at 8am-ish - assuming somewhere between 6 & 9 hours to cook. I've put the meat probe into the smaller point - when this reaches temperature, I'll pull that off the grill, rest it, chop it & cover with sauce. Then the flat will continue to cook and when that is done it'll come off & the cubed point will go back on for the burnt ends.

Ive used three decent sized pieces of oak around the outside of the coals to hopefully give some good smokiness to it also.

Fingers crossed....

The raw meat:

Injected & rubbed - marinading in the fridge:
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: My first brisket

Postby Minesamojito » 26 May 2012, 08:18

looks like it's going to be a good one dude :) enjoy!
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gazz_46 » 26 May 2012, 08:46

Good on ya Si

More guts than me diving in at the deep end..........respect & good luck, plz keep us updated my taste buds just went nuts thinking about it.
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby KamadoSimon » 26 May 2012, 09:05

There's always the chicken.... lol We've guests arriving shortly (otherwise I would have popped over to say hi at MiM), so option 1 is brisket. Option 2 if needed is the chicken.

Am using the IQ110 to control the temperature of the Kamado Joe. Also using the BGE charcoal. The combination seems to be brilliant & am hoping the Big K stuff is as good. It's currently holding 225F plus or minus 5 degrees. It did 7 hours no problem yesterday with enough lump left over to do a high heat grill at the end. It's almost enough, but not quite, to justify the extra cost of the BGE lump.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 27 May 2012, 07:42

How did it turn out? I'm thinking about those burnt ends you were going to do, they're one of my favourite BBQ treats.
JEC

Postby KamadoSimon » 27 May 2012, 14:13

Really well ! Never had burnt ends before, so not sure what they are 'meant' to taste like - but we all thought that they were amazing! They had three coats of Stubbs Smokey Mesquite sauce put onto them - which really intensified the flavour. Definitely want to do them again.

The flat was an amazing texture & still really moist after being on the BBQ for 11 hours at 225F until it hit 200F. It could have been a quicker cook had I turned it over mid way through - the bottom was at 200F earlier than the top. Flipping it would have helped as the bottom had a better crust too. But it went down very well with everyone.

On Steve's advice / commentary I didn't foil to get it through the stall - only afterwards when I was getting concerned I wouldn't have had enough time for resting the meat before we wanted to eat.

Changes for next time:
- the flat needed more bark - I just didn't use enough herbs on top of it;
- I will add much more flavour to the injection.

The point after 7.5 hours cooking (pulled at 200F):

The point - nice little smoke ring from oak:

The point cubed:

The point in Stubb's Smokey Mesquite sauce:

The flat on the Kamado Joe about 9 hours in - surprisingly little crust on top:

The flat after being pulled at 200F after 11 hours - ramped the temperature a little in last two hours to give a nice crust:
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 27 May 2012, 15:25

Looks tasty and sounds like the burnt ends where just right.
JEC

Return to Beef