Wicked BBQ brisket recipe - my first run

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Wicked BBQ brisket recipe - my first run

Postby KamadoSimon » 15 Jul 2012, 14:13

Per my beef-buy post, here's my attempt on the Wicked BBQ recipe for brisket. I won't post the exact recipe - seems like the wrong thing to do given that these guys are selling books based on their trial and error and success. If someone tells me that they've posted it somewhere on the net then I'll add a link in.

The only major differences in my approach to theirs was:
- halved the amount of salt in the dry rub. I ran out ;-) Plus...
- I didn't get the beef bouillon cubes, so used good ol' beef Oxo cubes for the injection which are saltier anyways;
- instead of Worcester sauce in the injection, I used some Mushroom Ketchup which from experience I know adds a great depth of flavour to stews, chilli's etc I did use the Worcester Sauce in the other area of the recipe;
- I didn't use a whole brisket & the point & flat were separated;
- I mucked up my timings (rushing around to end-of-term plays etc!) and the brisket had less time on the grill uncovered & 1 hour more on the grill in foil than their recipe - temps the same though. The crust wasn't as set as it should be because of this;
- decided against doing their BBQ sauce for the burnt ends - used Stubbs instead - I would definitely do these longer than 30 minutes next time.

My 5kg brisket trimmed down - I weighed the fat off cuts & these came in at just under 1/2kg. So a 4.5kg / 10lbs - half what the recipe calls for. So given that they were shooting for a 10 hour cook time, I was counting on 12 hours total being sufficient for me including resting of around 2 hours.

This recipe takes some time - you've the dry rub, injection & BBQ sauce to make. But these can all be made ahead of time & they will keep. The only thing that might catch you out is the garlic - you need to pre-roast a whole head. I did this a few days before knowing that I was going to do this recipe. Even more if you are going to use their BBQ Sauce for burnt ends - for this you also need to make up their dry rub.

Once you have all your components you then inject the meat, rub both sides with the dry rub & then wrap or vacuum pack & let it absorb the goodness in the fridge. I did ours around midday the day before it was going on - a bit longer than they say but that was when I had the time....

The brisket came out of the fridge at 7am in order to come up to room temperature. The Kamado Joe went on at 7am on the Friday to bring up to temperature ready for the meat to go on around 7.30am. I decided to use the my forced air system to control it as I didn't want to be faffing during the day.

Came off at 5.30pm to rest - kept the grill going low to be able to put the burnt ends back on for half an hour as suggested.

Some pictures.....

Lump lit & ready in the Kamado Joe:

Brisket marinaded ready to be cooked:

Brisket on the Kamado Joe and grill extender:

The point cooked & ready to be cut into burnt ends:

The flat cooked & ready to be cut:

The flat cut:

The flat close up:

It was very very tasty - quite spicy (although not for chilli-heads I guess!) & I am glad I lowered the salt content. The beef was melt in the mouth tender. I have vac-packed two two-person portions from the leftovers - plus it fed four one night, me the next - so about £2.50 per person in beef, which isn't too bad. A definite do-again recipe - looking forwards to trying their Boston Butt recipe next.

Edit: rubbish smoke ring - surprised as I put quite a lot of hickory through the coals & usually use a lot less. But the smokey flavour did come through. Weird....
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Wicked BBQ brisket recipe - my first run

Postby Minesamojito » 15 Jul 2012, 20:45

that looks awesome dude, good jub, bet it tasted great. some cracking pics too.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 16 Jul 2012, 05:34

If it's not for presentation taste wins every time, glad you enjoyed it :D

Still waiting for my copy to come through :cry:
keith157

Postby JEC » 16 Jul 2012, 07:15

That looks and sounds umami good Simon, as always.
JEC

Postby keith157 » 16 Jul 2012, 07:57

JEC wrote:That looks and sounds umami good Simon, as always.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A definate BFTP :D
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 16 Jul 2012, 08:10

Cheers all - it was good. Even better the next day cold. But can definitely be improved on for my taste - for a start by cooking it the way they said too - doh! :oops:

Keith - I have moved over to using Kindle for non-fiction books where possible - the convenience of instant delivery & being able to read them across ipad, laptop & mobile phone just wins hands down for me. Add in the fact it was cheaper, I'll get over my love of a physical book. Still not sure I like using Kindle for novels though. Oh no, it's started. Middle-aged aversion to change & technology..... Be asking my son to operate the Sky+ box soon...!
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby RobinC » 16 Jul 2012, 10:05

Looks like it came out well. Will definitely have to give this a go sometime.

Re the kindle - I'm the other way round. Fiction books on the kindle, non-fiction still a physical book.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Big_Fat_Dan » 16 Jul 2012, 13:03

Nice work Simon, still waiting to do my first Brisket, but i'm struggling with my temperatures at the moment, but the Brisket is in the freezer waiting for me, when i pluck up the courage to do it.
Big_Fat_Dan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Davy » 16 Jul 2012, 18:21

KamadoSimon wrote:Cheers all - it was good. Even better the next day cold. But can definitely be improved on for my taste - for a start by cooking it the way they said too - doh! :oops:

Keith - I have moved over to using Kindle for non-fiction books where possible - the convenience of instant delivery & being able to read them across ipad, laptop & mobile phone just wins hands down for me. Add in the fact it was cheaper, I'll get over my love of a physical book. Still not sure I like using Kindle for novels though. Oh no, it's started. Middle-aged aversion to change & technology..... Be asking my son to operate the Sky+ box soon...!

Excellent post Simon. I'm loving books on my iPad but I still prefer physical cookery books. Still debating wether to get the digital version of this or not.
Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby joker smoker » 16 Jul 2012, 19:23

Keith, what is BFTP? I know FTP [7u%K the police] but that doesn't sound like you.
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Beef