My 2011 Turkey

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

My 2011 Turkey

Postby Swindon_Ed » 18 Dec 2011, 10:34

Here is my plan for my christmas turkey this year, thought i'd share this incase some people are still a bit unsure of how to cook their turkey and are looking for idea's, if anyone's got any questions just let me know.

When i pick up my turkey from the butcher i'll get them to take the wing's & leg's off and then i'll also get them to bone the leg's and take out the wishbone from the crown.

The reason for this is that when the turkey is whole the legs and the breast are normally done at different times so this way i can cook each part until it's done instead of using foil to try and stop some parts over cooking,

i'll stuff the turkey legs with a stuffing/susage meat mix, i'll roast of the wings and use them to make a stock for the gravy and then with the Turkey crown pull back the skin trying not to split or damage it and then inject under the skin all over with this injection:

1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon ground bay leaf
1 teaspoon ground thyme
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

finally i'll get the smoker upto 325f and smoker with some apple wood untill the crown is at 160f, pull off and leave to rest covered in foil for 30mins before serving.
Swindon_Ed

Re: My 2011 Turkey

Postby keith157 » 19 Dec 2011, 07:06

Cheers for the injector marinade recipe. This will be my first "proper" low n slow on a smoker so will let you knopw how I got on (or not if we end up with fish-paste sarnies :lol: )
keith157

Postby Swindon_Ed » 19 Dec 2011, 19:32

keith157 wrote:This will be my first "proper" low n slow on a smoker

Just go easy on the smoke as you don't want to over smoke your christmas dinner.
Swindon_Ed

Postby keith157 » 20 Dec 2011, 06:20

Swindon_Ed wrote:
keith157 wrote:This will be my first "proper" low n slow on a smoker

Just go easy on the smoke as you don't want to over smoke your christmas dinner.

Good advice thanks, this has always been a problem for us, as we haven't had the opportunity to taste properly smoked food other than ribs & pulled pork. I exclude the delightful chicken we had at the BBQ Shack as I doubt we will be that good for a long long time if ever :D
keith157

Return to Poultry