Harissa slow (ish) cooked chicken

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

Harissa slow (ish) cooked chicken

Postby KamadoSimon » 27 Mar 2012, 21:09

So the method

Cut some slits in the chicken breasts so that the rub can penetrate the meat better;
    Coat the chicken in a little oil, salt & pepper;
    Then rub with harrisa paste (readily available from Sainsburys at least);
    Leave in the fridge for a few hours (longer depending on how strong you want the flavour);
    Bring out a few hours before you are going to cook to bring up to room temperature (I am doing this as so many recipes say to do it, but not really knowing why!);
    Coals were set as I always do them - a few pieces of kindling in the middle with two compressed saw dust firelighters, left over lumpwood charcoal around the outside, new charcoal over the top & then build a mound with larger pieces up and around the kindling and firelighters making sure that the outer air holes are not blocked. The only thing I vary is how much charcoal I put on;
    light & leave the bottom vent & lid open until it is well lit in the center, then close the lid & set the desired temperature using the vents. For a low temp like this, it means roughly the bottom vent set to about 1 inch open & the daisy wheel almost closed but the full opening 1 cm crack opened;
    I set the Kamado Joe to a steady 225F, with the heat deflector metal rack in (without the heat plate) to raise the grill up off the coals a bit more
    I placed some soaked oak chips (some large, some small) around the outside of the coals to smoke at different times in the cook;
    Basted with some harrisa paste mixed with lemon juice a couple of times & then drizzled some maple syrup over the whole chicken for the last 15 minutes or so just to give some sweetness;
    Cooked for just under 3 hours & rested for about an hour under foil & tea towels

Some pictures:

KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Harissa slow (ish) cooked chicken

Postby BigM » 27 Mar 2012, 21:12

That Looks SO NICE !
did the breast meat dry out with the slits in them?
BigM
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 27 Mar 2012, 21:19

Nope - the breast meat was really juicy - much better than it deserved to be if I am honest. As I said I over cooked it a little :roll:
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BigG » 28 Mar 2012, 05:18

Excellent recipe, I've just started using Harissa too after watching Rick Stein using it, Morrisons also stock it in the aisle with spices/herbs, I love it, I'm using Al'Fez brand, tastes really fruity tangy then punches you in the face lol :lol: I hadn't thought about using it as a rub or marinade!!!!!!! perfect use for it, Mmmmm Harissa chicken for dinner this weekend

G
BigG
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 28 Mar 2012, 05:24

Hi KS, the reason you bring up to room temperature ensures an even cook and saves time as it's warming up (10-15 deg at least) whilst you heat up the BBQ/Smoker. It stops you having semi frozen bits at one end of your joint/chicken and non frozen at the other, depending on the setting on your fridge
keith157

Postby BadBoyzofBBQ » 28 Mar 2012, 11:29

Sounds and looks nice will try on my KJ
BadBoyzofBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Poultry