Roadside Chicken

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

Roadside Chicken

Postby Big Mick » 21 Mar 2010, 07:18

I got this recipe from The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board. If you go to the site and check the thread for this recipe you can see how popular it is. All credit for this goes to Brian S off the TVWBB and he has given permission for the recipe to be shared.

I have reproduced the recipe word for word but when I do it I use cider vinegar and a bit (accuracy!) more sugar Also just use regular sea salt as I've never found kosher salt. It is meant for grilling rather than smoking.

If you like the chicken from the roadside chicken stands then you'll like this. I've been making this for about 15 years now and it's pretty darn good.
ROADSIDE CHICKEN
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy
EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade proccess. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce.

I urge you all to give this a try it's always a winner.

This also works well with pork - shoulder steaks are worth a try.

Big Mick
Big Mick
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Roadside Chicken

Postby ozza » 29 Jul 2010, 20:20

Got to say if your doing a large cook, have done your slow and low, ribs, pulled pork, brisket etc and are looking for chicken qtrs etc, this is a spot on receipe.

Personally I used white wine vinegar,gave it a night marinade (as I like a strong taste), cooked it on a webber SM without th pan to get the temp high and basted the bejebus out of it with an emptied out worcester sauce bottle filled with basting sauce

top top top recommendation for party food, with your nice smokey creations this will finish the whole thing off.

ta Mick
ozza
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vic. » 11 Apr 2011, 21:42

super stuff Mick, been looking for a good chicken recipe...thanks bro :D

oops......just seen the "It is meant for grilling rather than smoking." part. wpul;d love to get a good smoked chicken recipe
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Riverrat » 11 Dec 2011, 22:56

OK, just done this with a couple of kinks thrown in for good measure, turned out rather good and will definitely do it again soon, simple enough to do just follow the instructions, doing the marinade is a must, I could only allow two hours - next time will let it sit in the marinade much longer - eight hours would seem to be the target. If you have any doubts about this one have a quick read of Brian S's post on TVWBB, there's only 29 pages of rave comments! Many thanks to Brian S for the original concept and to Big Mick for sharing it here.

PS Did I mention the marinade? Do the Marinade!!!!
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby bencops » 17 Jan 2012, 06:23

Ive been cooking this recipe with the same name for a while too

The mop sauce has orange and cloves in it... Moreish :)

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009 ... green.html
bencops

Return to Poultry