Tandoori chicken on the Kamado Joe

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

Tandoori chicken on the Kamado Joe

Postby KamadoSimon » 09 May 2012, 20:04

As per a previous post, I decided to have a go at using the Kamado Joe as a tandoor using some metal skewers. I did the naan the same way as a previous cook, on the pizza stone, rather than on the inside of the dome because a) it worked last time and b) the inside of the dome is pretty dirty from low 'n' slow cooks which I guess traditional tandoors do not suffer from ;-)

I used this tandoori rub recipe but without saffron or the cayenne pepper:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... Rub-240755

I added some chilli powder, but next time I would add some more heat to the mix as there wasn't really enough - very very tasty, just not spicy hot. Mixed this with plain yoghurt & marinated the chicken for an afternoon in the fridge.

Chicken coated in yoghurt & the rub:

Chicken on the skewers:

Finished plate with the chicken, naan & some dahl:

We'll definitely try this again - shaping the charcoal with a dip through the middle seems to make a good difference & then laying the skewer through this. Also a squeeze of fresh lemon across the chicken as serving was really nice.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Tandoori chicken on the Kamado Joe

Postby keith157 » 10 May 2012, 05:50

Looks great due to an aversion to really hot chillis Tandoori is my all-time favourite Indian food, and that looks really good.
keith157

Postby JEC » 10 May 2012, 07:27

Excellent post again Simon, will be giving this one a go, may even do it this weekend although I need ribs as getting withdrawal symptoms.
JEC

Postby KamadoSimon » 10 May 2012, 08:44

JEC wrote:Excellent post again Simon, will be giving this one a go, may even do it this weekend although I need ribs as getting withdrawal symptoms.

Cheers - hope it is useful. It was really tasty - definitely something we are going to do much more of. I have an order of spices coming in from cotsherb to try some slightly different spice mixes next time. I also did the chicken thighs & wings after I did the breast meat on skewers. I direct grilled them but on a raised grill - also did the chicken carcass which was then put in a cast iron pot with water & veg & then popped the lid on & left overnight to create stock. It'll get reheated to boiling point today & then sieved & frozen.

Weekend has two days - so you get to do both! :D
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby KamadoSimon » 10 May 2012, 08:50

keith157 wrote:Looks great due to an aversion to really hot chillis Tandoori is my all-time favourite Indian food, and that looks really good.

Yeh - am the same - I prefer some heat but not enough to take the roof of my mouth off! This was very mild without the cayenne pepper. Next time I will add a little more heat.

Found these guys when I was looking for Tandoor recipes: http://www.thetandoorclayoven.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

Really like the look of the mild steel ones....! Not sure I will swing this until we get our back garden, outdoor kitchen & garage built though... So then, retirement present...! ;-)
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 10 May 2012, 09:56

KamadoSimon wrote:
keith157 wrote:Looks great due to an aversion to really hot chillis Tandoori is my all-time favourite Indian food, and that looks really good.

Yeh - am the same - I prefer some heat but not enough to take the roof of my mouth off! This was very mild without the cayenne pepper. Next time I will add a little more heat.

Found these guys when I was looking for Tandoor recipes: http://www.thetandoorclayoven.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

Really like the look of the mild steel ones....! Not sure I will swing this until we get our back garden, outdoor kitchen & garage built though... So then, retirement present...! ;-)

If you are looking for a good simple outdoor kitchen and environment have a look at Guy Fierri's big bite backyard series on the food channel. It's a simple affair, food prep area including sinks, 6 ring gas cooker & ovens, approx 12Ft of charcoal grill one humungeous wood fired pizza oven, seating for around 30-40.....................................oh yes I forgot a pool. Jealous, what me, never............well just a teeny weny bit :lol:
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 10 May 2012, 10:43

I'll watch some on youtube and see if I can see his kitchen. We've nothing as grande planned - when we bought our house, there was already a proper base & start of the walls for a conservatory. We'll never use one - so have decided to get some plans drawn up for a room we would use, hence the comment. Early stages though....
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 10 May 2012, 12:50

Well we'll keep watching and expect invites to the grand opening down the road a while.....
keith157

Postby esselle » 03 Jul 2012, 07:47

Been messing around a lot with this aswell but on the base of my pro q. How long did yours take to cook on the kamado? Lid closed or open?
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby KamadoSimon » 03 Jul 2012, 08:31

It took longer than expected - can't remember exactly, but I would guess around 10-15 minutes, but of course this will be determined by a) the size of your chicken chunks & b) how close you can get your meat to the charcoal. I did it with the lid closed to try & replicate the intense heat & the small opening of a traditional tandoor.

Are you finding it's taking similar times?
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Poultry