Low 'n' slow..... chicken!

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

Low 'n' slow..... chicken!

Postby KamadoSimon » 31 May 2012, 18:28

Saw a recipe online for low 'n' slow chicken - so decided to try this myself.

Whole bird was vacuum packed with a covering of salt, pepper, cumin, olive oil & maple syrup for 24 hours.

Then it went on at 2.30pm today at 225F with a water tray underneath & some hickory chunks amongst the coals. I was using the Pitmaster IQ110 for this cook. At 7.30pm the bird had risen from 50F-ish to 148F. What?!!!? 5 hours and still not cooked!?! So, being impatient and also having an eye to getting some crispy skin at the end of the cook, I ramped it to 350F. The IQ in conjunction with the Kamado Joe is amazing - so controllable. It is almost like having an oven. Only with fire & better taste.

I am aiming for 180F for the chicken, which would normally be classed as over-cooked I guess - but for pulled chicken this apparently works - will let you know.

Right now, I am waiting. Hungary. Waiting...... ;-)

149F and counting...
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Low 'n' slow..... chicken!

Postby keith157 » 01 Jun 2012, 07:49

If it took that long tere is no excuse for a lack of pictures of the finished chicken :D
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 01 Jun 2012, 08:20

Except that it was damn late before we ate!!!!! ;-)
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby KamadoSimon » 01 Jun 2012, 09:42

It took until 9pm for the chicken to reach 180F - 6.5 hours! Quite amazed at how long it took. I was worried that it wasn't going to be moist by cooking it so long. But I didn't need to worry - it was still really moist.

But it didn't pull much more than usual to be honest - so next time I try this, I will go to 200F and see if that makes a difference for chicken. The skin wasn't much too write home about - slightly crispy but not good enough to eat. But the leg & breast meat was delicious - loads of smokey flavour as well as subtle hints from the rub it had been vacuumed with. The rub would have been stronger had I removed the skin & applied directly. Will do that next time I think.

What was amazing was the wood smoke. I read on the smoking table that hickory would impart a bacon-like flavour. To be honest I didn't believe it - most smoking I have done gives a nice smokey flavour, but with the exception of the maple planks for fish or oak chunks for most meats, I have not been able to really differentiate anything other than a nice smokey flavour. Maybe it's practice though. Hickory though was really strong - went well with the chicken. Definitely be using that again - especially with chicken, pork shoulder & ribs.

Something else which was amazing, was the sauce. I normally plump for Stubb's sauces which are all tomatoe based. But based on this blog entry ( http://countrywoodsmoke.wordpress.com/2 ... pork-butt/), which was also posted in this forum, I decided to try a vinegar based sauce. Amazing - all I changed was to add a little Frank's Hot Sauce to the mix. This opened my eyes to vinegar based sauces and something I will experiment with a whole load more.

Anyway - some piccies:

Maverick remote thermometer - nearly there after 6 hours...

6.5 hour roasted chicken on the Kamado Joe:

6.5 hour roasted chicken on the Kamado Joe:

Pulled chicken sandwich:

Pulled chicken sandwich:
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby PIPS » 03 Jun 2012, 15:30

Hey Simon,
Just looked up the IQ110 and it sure looks promising.
Mind I ask you does it come with a international PSU, how much the unit cost you and if there are any UK suppliers ??
Thanks
PIPS
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby KamadoSimon » 03 Jun 2012, 16:18

It's a great little unit - very pleased with it.

I think on their website there is an option for an international adapter, but I bought mine from someone on this forum (believe it was their last one - sorry) and so got my adapter from eBay for a few pounds. Let me know if you go for one and I'll send on the details.

No UK dealer but I did email them about postage to the UK, for the official BGE adapter and replacement temp probe (just in case I fry mine) and the shipping was not expensive - drop them an email for a quote.

Cheers,

Simon
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 03 Jun 2012, 16:51

The Ique is a great unit, it is the only reason I can use my smoker due to the lack of a constant breeze in my garden.
keith157

Postby The Social Smokers » 06 Jul 2012, 08:41

You can get away with serving a whole chicken at 158F (70c), we've cooked chicken even less at 152F (67c) and i'm still alive to tell the tale haha. Only problem is that it's a bit risky if you are serving it to member of the public. I recommend spatchcocking a chicken, it cooks a lot quicker. We smoke a spatchcocked chicken and then finish it off direct to try and crisp up the skin.
The Social Smokers
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Poultry