Roadside Chicken

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

Roadside Chicken

Postby Davy » 06 Jul 2012, 17:40

Im gonna give Roadside chicken a try tomorrow seen as its getting such rave reviews the TVWB http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/488 ... 028563/p/1

Usually I find the vinegar a bit overpowering in some of the American recipes but I decided to go with this anyway. After adding the Worcestershire sauce it seemed to tame it a little. Once the marinade was made I took a good gulp. Initially very sharp, then a nice flavour followed by a hint of spice. Im very interested to see how this turns out.

Decided to cut the chicken up into smaller pieces, 12 in all since I want to grill this indirect at about 350.

I'll need to make another batch of the marinade up tomorrow for basting but Im still undecided on whether to add the oil or not :?:

If it tastes good then the next cook I'll may add some wood chips but I think I'll leave them out for now. More pics will be added tomorrow after grilling.
Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Roadside Chicken

Postby keith157 » 06 Jul 2012, 20:11

If you get the marinade to a good rolling boil, then you can baste with that provided it's boiled, not just simmered.
keith157

Postby Davy » 08 Jul 2012, 12:49

The RC was cooked yesterday at 340 - 370 and reached an internal temp of around 190 in about an hour and 10 min. Kieth I was thinking of boiling the marinade but I had concerns about it affecting the flavour so I decided to follow the recipe to the letter and make a fresh one for basting. As it turns out this is quite and expensive recipe as I used almost a whole bottle of vinegar. Anyway I basted the chicken every 15 mins.

Once done I got the mrs to try it and she asked what the sour taste was to which I replied vinegar. Having tasted it myself it was indeed very sour. There was no strong vinegar taste just a sourness to it. Luckily I had a bottle of JD sauce that I decided to douse the chicken in.

This is certainly one recipe I will not be trying again and I cant understand all the rave reviews.

Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 08 Jul 2012, 12:56

If it's a subtle flavour then a fresh basting liquid was the right way to go. Glad it turned out okay :D
keith157

Postby Riverrat » 24 Jul 2012, 01:43

Hi Davy, sorry to see that you did not like the Roadside Chicken, not much to suggest I guess it is just not to your taste - I love it !!!! I use this recipe on a regular basis and would rate it as one of my favorites, I have not got much of a sweet tooth so perhaps if you have it might not be for you.

I find it a nice change to cook the RS chicken and have no problem recommending it to everyone - at least try it once!!!
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby biggus_richus » 25 Jul 2012, 07:52

Been meaning to make Roadside Chicken for ages and finally did yesterday with chicken legs - used white wine vinegar (with a splash of sherry vinegar because I ran out) and doubled the sugar. In the fridge to marinate before work and cooked when I got home - boiled up the used marinade to baste with and added the oil at that point.

It's a devil to grill and flared up something rotten; after the initial brown-, uh, blackening, I went indirect, but kept basting.

Thought it was tasty enough, although not as flavoursome as I had hoped or expected.

Wonder what difference swapping the vinegar made? I guess distilled white vinegar is more harsh than most other types.
biggus_richus
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Poultry