Christmas turkey

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

Re: Christmas turkey

Postby derekmiller » 09 Oct 2012, 14:49

Now that looks straight forward, not complicated at all. Think I might give it a go.

Riverrat wrote:For food safety reasons about 14 lbs is about the maximum size beast you should be looking at (takes to long for the temperature to get past the danger zone)

Don't think this is a major worry. As long as you can maintain the pit temperature above 350F to get the internal temp to around 165/175F it shouldnt be a problem. The turkey we put in the oven is a lot bigger than that.We always cook the turkey the day before because of the time it takes.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aris » 09 Oct 2012, 16:23

I'm starting to think a pre-xmas dry run might be in order. I'll have to round up some yanks and invite them for Thanksgiving dinner :)
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Riverrat » 09 Oct 2012, 17:55

derekmiller wrote:Now that looks straight forward, not complicated at all. Think I might give it a go.

Riverrat wrote:For food safety reasons about 14 lbs is about the maximum size beast you should be looking at (takes to long for the temperature to get past the danger zone)

Don't think this is a major worry. As long as you can maintain the pit temperature above 350F to get the internal temp to around 165/175F it shouldnt be a problem. The turkey we put in the oven is a lot bigger than that.We always cook the turkey the day before because of the time it takes.

With all due respect to your comment, if your pit temp is at 350f you would probably be ok with a bigger bird, from my readings if you are at lower temperatures of say around 250 - 275f food safety would suggest that a smaller bird is desirable - not wanting to make myself or my guests sick.
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Riverrat » 09 Oct 2012, 18:14

aris wrote:I'm starting to think a pre-xmas dry run might be in order. I'll have to round up some yanks and invite them for Thanksgiving dinner :)

Pre-xmas dry run is a damn good idea, two Christmases a year!!!!

Got plenty of them there yanks around here, how many do you want? I can send as many as you want ( plus a couple of million extras :lol: :lol: )
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 09 Oct 2012, 18:20

Riverrat wrote:
aris wrote:I'm starting to think a pre-xmas dry run might be in order. I'll have to round up some yanks and invite them for Thanksgiving dinner :)

Got plenty of them there yanks around here, how many do you want? I can send as many as you want ( plus a couple of million extras :lol: :lol: )

I work with several :-) Only problem I have is that my wife can only stomach a roast turkey once a year. Oh well, all the more for me :twisted: :lol:
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 09 Oct 2012, 18:54

Riverrat wrote:

I'm not sure many of them would appreciate being called Yanks......did'nt they have a big punch up over that 150 or so years ago :D
keith157

Postby Sheila Sanchez » 28 Oct 2012, 04:33

I have turkeys in my farm and every time we're having celebrations I keep on preparing roasted turkey as family love it so much.
Sheila Sanchez
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Eddie » 11 Nov 2012, 14:32

Has anyone got a good recipe for a good Turkey brine? Wood you keep it at a certain temp?

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby philnewts » 11 Nov 2012, 14:34

This was awesome last year

Ingredients:

1 gallon vegetable broth
1 cup sea salt
1 tablespoon crushed dried rosemary
1 tablespoon dried sage
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried savory
1 gallon ice water
Directions:

In a large stock pot, combine the vegetable broth, sea salt, rosemary, sage, thyme, and savory. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently to be sure salt is dissolved. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature.

When the broth mixture is cool, pour it into a clean 5 gallon bucket. Stir in the ice water.

Wash and dry your turkey. Make sure you have removed the innards. Place the turkey, breast down, into the brine. Make sure that the cavity gets filled. Place the bucket in the refrigerator overnight.

Remove the turkey carefully draining off the excess brine and pat dry. Discard excess brine.

Cook the turkey as desired reserving the drippings for gravy. Keep in mind that brined turkeys cook 20 to 30 minutes faster so watch the temperature gauge.

PREP 5 mins

COOK 15 mins

READY IN 8 hrs 20 mins

Source: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-brine/
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 11 Nov 2012, 16:35

Check out this video recently posted.

http://mancavemeals.net/2012/11/10/smok ... ler-akorn/
aris