Pheasant

From a humble Hot Wing to a full Christmas Turkey, BBQ applies to all. Post here if you have any good recipes.

Pheasant

Postby aris » 04 Nov 2012, 09:59

Was at the butchers and saw one. Fancied to give it a go - any good recipes? I'm not going to BBQ it - so it is either going to be roasted or braised. I'm thinking as a wid bird, it will be quite tough needing a long slow cook?
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Pheasant

Postby keith157 » 04 Nov 2012, 11:06

Like most poultry, especially game, the breasts will cook far quicker than the legs. Unless young and well hung ( :oops: ) pheasant legs are tough and generally only used for stock or slow braised. Loads of online recipes available but I'd take the breasts off the carcase, wrap in streaky flash fry in an ovenproof pan then finish off in the oven.
keith157

Postby Tiny » 04 Nov 2012, 11:47

Dice onion, celery and a carrot and gently soften in a heavy casserole with a good chunk of butter some smoked bacon lardons will do you know harm either.. salt pepper, stick of rosemary and a bay leaf. Pheasant in big glug of red wine and some chicken stock. pot roast for around an hour and a half.

Take the bird out foil and rest, reduce the liquid down and add a sploosh of double cream. chunk the bird up or split in half to serve 2 gravy over the top, mashed spuds with plenty of butter and black pepper, braised red cabbage with a little apple and some glazed carrots.

Big glass of good red and a nap on the sofa this afternoon........perfect.........

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 04 Nov 2012, 12:29

Thanks Tiny - that recipe sounds just up my street. Fire and forget ;-)

As an aside - I cooked some beef ribs yesterday in a very similar fashion. Browned the ribs in a small dutch oven on the hob, then added some puree tomatoes & onion and a couple of dollops of honey. Put in the oven and forgot about it for several hours. Nice fall off the bone beef ribs!
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Jonty » 05 Nov 2012, 08:30

Aris,

the pheasant more than likely won't be as tough as you're expecting it will have probably only hatched in march and will have been fed a very good diet of grain to keep it where the game keeper wanted it to be. At this time of the year the birds should have a good amount of fat on them and will survive a roast if you bard it up with plenty of bacon - extra over the legs.

I'm with tiny on the pot roast as this is a great way to keep them moist, delicious with a glug of port.
Jonty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 05 Nov 2012, 08:34

I did a pot roast - added some wine and a bit of stock, plus some onions and lardons in a covered dutch oven.

I did cook it for some time - came out a little bit dry in the breast, but the legs fell off. Taste was nice - reminded me of pidgeon. I may well do this again for guests - though i'm not sure if game birds are to everyones taste. I think next time i'll try a roast similar to how I do chicken - with streaky bacon on top as also suggested.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby CyderPig » 05 Nov 2012, 17:51

Hi All
With Pheasant, just rip the skin above the vent and peel the skin and feathers off, no plucking needed.
Place knife on the the breast bone , and following the contours of the ribcage cut off the breasts, snap the the legs back from the carcass to break the hip joint, cut off the legs, then bone out the thigh and throw away everything else.
No plucking ,no gutting.
Marinade with red wine ,autumn berries(crushed) and a little oil.
Wrap with smoked bacon and fire on the smoker.

Cheers
Simon
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby CyderPig » 05 Nov 2012, 18:07

Sorry forgot to say
Season with s+p, sage leaves and fresh thyme(add to marinade)
Keep left over marinade to warm as jus.
Serve with creamy mash and green beans.

Simon
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 06 Nov 2012, 06:34

Great recipe Simon, although I'd ensure the marinade hit a rolling boil for H&S reasons. Us townies don't have the cast iron constitution you country folk do. :D
keith157

Return to Poultry