Cherry Smoked Venison

Lamb, mutton, game.... Zebra, Ostrich, Crocodile. Whatever the meat, if you have a recipe, feel free to post it here.

Cherry Smoked Venison

Postby Swindon_Ed » 04 Mar 2012, 18:59

I'd been wanting to try this for a while now so with my mother coming over for a visit i thought why not.

So i picked up this lovely bone in haunch of venison from my butcher

I didn't want to play around with this too much, so it didn't trim anything, i just coated it in olive oil and then gave it quite a liberal coating of salt and pepper.

I setup my kettle BBQ for indirect cooking and put the venison on the grill as far away from the coals as i could and added one chunck of cherry wood.

After the venison had taken on all the smoke i wanted and had a good colour like this, I then turned the meat around and covered it in bacon to keep it moist and carried on cooking.

Once it reached 130f internal temprature it was time to take it off the BBQ and wrap in foil to allow it to rest.

Once rested i de-boned the venison and then it was ready for carving :D

I served this with a cherry & balsamic sauce viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1762, and it was amazing. Even my mother comented how moist it was compared to the other times she's eaten venison in the past.
Swindon_Ed

Re: Cherry Smoked Venison

Postby Toby » 04 Mar 2012, 19:54

Another cracker Ed!
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Swindon_Ed » 04 Mar 2012, 20:26

Glad you like it Toby, i'd definatly recomend this one. The bacon wrap over the venison is awsome as it gives an extra flavour to the venison which goes really well. It's true what they say, bacon really does make everything better :lol:

It's been quite nice for me experimenting with different meats the last few weeks, as come April most of my cooking will be chicken, ribs, pork and brisket in preperation of the season ahead.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Minesamojito » 04 Mar 2012, 21:50

That looks so good. I've got a leg of venison in the freezer. Might have a pop at this.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dixhuit » 28 Sep 2013, 20:42

I'm currently defrosting a haunch that my cousin gave me and will try this out tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

I'll be using a temp probe but can you remember anything about how much it weighed and long it took took to cook (I have no idea how much time I'll need to allow for this)?
dixhuit
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Other Meats