Duck breast

Lamb, mutton, game.... Zebra, Ostrich, Crocodile. Whatever the meat, if you have a recipe, feel free to post it here.

Re: Duck breast

Postby Swindon_Ed » 05 Sep 2012, 10:09

aris wrote:Has anyone done a low-and-slow of a whole duck in a smoker? I would have thought that it would come out fairly nice - all the fat rendered out, and a nice crispy skin - almost like the Chinese duck.

I've done it in the past but it doesn't work that well as you'll struggle to get the skin crisp, even trying all of the tricks like pricking the skin all over pouring hot water over the skin rubbing with vinegar & air drying & still i couldn't get the skin crisp even when finishing at high heat (it just ended up burning).
Swindon_Ed

Postby Pecker » 05 Sep 2012, 14:12

stretchie_ wrote:The fat was left on, and they went on fat side down first. I THINK it was about an hour maybe less but I was busy faffing in the garage so just kept coming out to check temps.

I really can't remember the temp I took the duck off at either sorry, but when it was done we just sliced the breasts into maybe about 10mm slices, it wasn't pink in the middle but it was still juicy, it was a nice contrast between dry on the outside with the 5 spice and juicy in the middle.

We are definitely doing it again, and good idea, it would be great in a salad, or in a bap, or on a plate, on on my fork.........

:mrgreen:

If it was just duck breasts, then I can see why they wouldn't be pink after an hour.

Rare duck breasts will only take 7-10 minutes in a hot pan.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby aris » 05 Sep 2012, 14:37

Swindon_Ed wrote:
aris wrote:Has anyone done a low-and-slow of a whole duck in a smoker? I would have thought that it would come out fairly nice - all the fat rendered out, and a nice crispy skin - almost like the Chinese duck.

I've done it in the past but it doesn't work that well as you'll struggle to get the skin crisp, even trying all of the tricks like pricking the skin all over pouring hot water over the skin rubbing with vinegar & air drying & still i couldn't get the skin crisp even when finishing at high heat (it just ended up burning).

To be fair, most people have trouble with this in an oven, let alone a smoker! Getting a crisp skin is an art I have never managed.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby liomer » 05 Sep 2012, 14:40

Has anyone done a low-and-slow of a whole duck in a smoker?

Did it a couple of weeks ago on my WSM, following the recipe in Cheryl & Bill Jamison's "Smoke & Spice" (Kindle app edition.....makes a bit of a mess of my iPad!). All I, and more importantly, my guests could say is "WOW!"

Last weekend I followed the same principles for duck breasts/fillets/magret on the Smokenator, with similar expressions all round.

Go for it!

Peter
liomer
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby London Irish » 07 Sep 2012, 08:02

liomer wrote:
Has anyone done a low-and-slow of a whole duck in a smoker?

Did it a couple of weeks ago on my WSM, following the recipe in Cheryl & Bill Jamison's "Smoke & Spice" (Kindle app edition.....makes a bit of a mess of my iPad!). All I, and more importantly, my guests could say is "WOW!"

Last weekend I followed the same principles for duck breasts/fillets/magret on the Smokenator, with similar expressions all round.

Go for it!

Peter

Peter,

How did the skin turn out?

John
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby gazz_46 » 08 Sep 2012, 15:50

I smoked a whole duck a while ago on the OTG and it came of gr8, search My posts..... "little bit of advice plz" I worried about the skin but turned out Nice and crisp, go with 5 spice and you will be pleasantly surprised
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby London Irish » 08 Sep 2012, 16:46

gazz_46 wrote:I smoked a whole duck a while ago on the OTG and it came of gr8, search My posts..... "little bit of advice plz" I worried about the skin but turned out Nice and crisp, go with 5 spice and you will be pleasantly surprised

Gaz, suppose I'm right in saying that if you'd had you WSM at the time, you would have used that instead???
Might try one tomorrow on my WSM and ramp up at the end to crisp the skin...
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby liomer » 10 Sep 2012, 07:47

How did the skin turn out?

John,

Not as crisp as when I just grill them, but not bad at all.

Peter
liomer
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gazz_46 » 13 Sep 2012, 08:47

London Irish wrote:
gazz_46 wrote:I smoked a whole duck a while ago on the OTG and it came of gr8, search My posts..... "little bit of advice plz" I worried about the skin but turned out Nice and crisp, go with 5 spice and you will be pleasantly surprised

Gaz, suppose I'm right in saying that if you'd had you WSM at the time, you would have used that instead???
Might try one tomorrow on my WSM and ramp up at the end to crisp the skin...

Certainly would have done yes, let us know how it turns out
On the wsm, link to duck post below

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2093&start=10
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Previous

Return to Other Meats