Duck breast

Lamb, mutton, game.... Zebra, Ostrich, Crocodile. Whatever the meat, if you have a recipe, feel free to post it here.

Duck breast

Postby stretchie_ » 04 Sep 2012, 10:56

We tried some this weekend along with beef skirt and a small pork shoulder.

Rubbed it in Chinese 5 spice and nothing else, I can't remember how long it took or what temp I took it off at (had to google the temp for duck) but it was nice and we will definitely be doing it again.

So get down to your supermarket / butchers and get some. VERY nice
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: Duck breast

Postby Jonty » 04 Sep 2012, 13:07

Hi, did you leave the skin/fat on or off? Thanks
Jonty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby London Irish » 04 Sep 2012, 14:21

Jonty wrote:Hi, did you leave the skin/fat on or off? Thanks

Let's hope so!!!
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Pecker » 04 Sep 2012, 14:40

How long did you cook it for?

There are two very different ways to cook duck.

It can be cooked rare and pink, which is traditional for breasts. Or it can be cooked well done and brown, which is more traditional for an English roast, or Chinese style.

If you're cooking half a duck with 5 spices to shred (a bit like pulled pork) and put in pancakes, I'd always do it very slowly.

If you're cooking the breats on their own, in a French style, I prefer them rare., but make sure you rest them first, otherwise you just get a plate full of 'blood' when you cut it open.

Breasts with 5 spices? Dunno what I'd do with that. Was yours pink or cooked through?

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Tiny » 04 Sep 2012, 18:36

I would give a quick smoke and then sear it thermonuclear with very high probabilities of fat fires, recall aan incident trying to blow out some duck legs that were proper on fire owing to excessive marination of the chef in strongbow, very cross wife indeed........

So in answer I would have done them french crispy skinned styley and put in wraps with an asian slaw with sweet chilli........drool........

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 05 Sep 2012, 05:27

I haven't done any yet, but looking at doing some fairly soon then cook extra, smoked duck breast is a firm favourite in a salad, or bap, or picked at or....well you get the drift :D
keith157

Postby Jonty » 05 Sep 2012, 07:05

I've smoke quite a few wild duck breasts, but they are pretty much fat free, as is most game. Thinly sliced smoked duck & pigeon breasts with redcurrant jelly is a fantastic starter.
Jonty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Pecker » 05 Sep 2012, 09:10

Wild duck is a completely different beast to domesticated duck.

The difference is greater than that between wild boar and pork.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby aris » 05 Sep 2012, 09:12

Has anyone done a low-and-slow of a whole duck in a smoker? I would have thought that it would come out fairly nice - all the fat rendered out, and a nice crispy skin - almost like the Chinese duck.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby stretchie_ » 05 Sep 2012, 09:45

The fat was left on, and they went on fat side down first. I THINK it was about an hour maybe less but I was busy faffing in the garage so just kept coming out to check temps.

I really can't remember the temp I took the duck off at either sorry, but when it was done we just sliced the breasts into maybe about 10mm slices, it wasn't pink in the middle but it was still juicy, it was a nice contrast between dry on the outside with the 5 spice and juicy in the middle.

We are definitely doing it again, and good idea, it would be great in a salad, or in a bap, or on a plate, on on my fork.........

:mrgreen:
stretchie_
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Next

Return to Other Meats