Gator ribs

Lamb, mutton, game.... Zebra, Ostrich, Crocodile. Whatever the meat, if you have a recipe, feel free to post it here.

Gator ribs

Postby lakemirror » 19 Aug 2010, 13:55

I'm still over in Florida, and we had this critter taken from the pond in front of my office yesterday. That's my dad, the one with white hair (not the one hog tied or in uniform) and that's my office window, 2nd from the right.

The gator is still young and has lots more growing to do, but it's not too young to cook up! Unfortunately, the man in the photo with the gun and badge made sure this critter was released in another pond somewhere else. Most gator eaten here is fried pieces of tail, but the ribs make for tremendous grilling fodder. Here's a recipe from foodreference.com.

2 pounds alligator ribs
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon season salt
1/2 teaspoon season black pepper

Place ribs in a shallow glass dish or large resealable plastic food storage bag. Pour vinegar over ribs; toss to thoroughly coat all pieces well. Cover dish or close bag; marinate in vinegar for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.

Combine juice, oil, salt, and pepper until well blended.
Reserve 1/8 cup marinade for basting.

Add remaining marinade to ribs. Turn and coat well. Marinate in the refrigerator for 45 minutes. Remove ribs from marinade; discard marinade.

Grill over medium coals about 45 minutes or until ribs are tender, basting frequently with 1/8 cup marinade.
lakemirror
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Gator ribs

Postby Banjo » 19 Aug 2010, 14:08

What a great Post!
:D

A recipe for Gator ribs......and most butchers over here can't come up with Beef short ribs or a Boston Butt :lol:

:lol:
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Gator ribs

Postby Neil » 08 Dec 2010, 07:52

awww I need to get hold of some of those...a trip to the butchers at the weekend I think!
Neil
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Other Meats