New Competitors for 2010

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

New Competitors for 2010

Postby British BBQ Society » 31 Dec 2009, 22:37

At the moment we have, potentially 10 teams for the May comp, It would be really good if we could get between 15 - 20. If you have any ideas or suggestions to draw people in please let me know.

Thanks

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Competitors for 2010

Postby British BBQ Society » 15 Mar 2010, 12:21

Only one comp a year is on a bank holiday, I will send you a diary to help with your memory :roll: .
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Yeti » 21 Mar 2010, 15:37

I am considering entering the May competition, however it is very daunting, and will be quite expensive for a one off. When is the second competition?

I know you have a list of what you need to enter the competition, but there is no guidance to what the judges are looking for. Although taste is very subjective, a little guidance would be good. What criteria do the judges mark on?
Yeti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby British BBQ Society » 21 Mar 2010, 16:29

Hi, The second comp is the 24th & 25th july, like most if you try one comp you will probably get bitten by the bug!

I agree that taste is very subjective, i tend to aim for a crowd pleaser, the more people like it the better. The main aim is to get the texture and tenderness correct along with appearance, these carry the bulk of the points. Too many people have made the mistake of concentrating on taste and ending up with meat that is rubbery or dry.

Meat first, taste second. There were alot of entry box examples on the main site, I will find out what has happened to them and post the link.

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 21 Mar 2010, 17:29

They're still there - show a little faith :lol:

Yeti, I get where you are coming from, competing for the first time is daunting and it does seem expensive.

On the cost front, first you've got to consider it's a weekend of fun, bring the family or come with a bunch of mates, it's a weekend of good food, plenty of beer and hanging out with some great people. we're not a bunch of anoraks in a field, there's some real characters about :lol:

Also the kit list seems massive, but there's plenty you can do without. People will generally lend you stuff that you might be missing and most people will help you out any way they can.

On the daunting side, it's simple - don't be. There's a varying range of abilities and experience. I only started smoking last year and I was crap in most categories last year. I think I've earned some big lessons and I think my products will be a lot better this year but I don't know until I compete :?

It's hard to know what the judges are looking for, I think I know but can't be sure. As Toby said, go for a crowd pleaser, but I'd recommend sticking to rubs and sauces out of a bottle until you're more sure of what to do. Even then if it works for you stick with it, many of the big hitters in the US use branded sauces and rubs. We made our own sauce last year and the other competitors loved it, so much so Adie's wife tried to steal it, however the judges said it was like a bolognese sauce :? :? :? so I think it's easier to go with recognised "BBQ" ingredients.

The main thing to remember is that there are no real egos at the competitions. Some people are more competitive but everyone is friendly and will help you out. Your cooking will definitely improve as a result of competing if you listen to what others tell you. I should know from last year :lol:

HTH

Steve
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Yeti » 21 Mar 2010, 18:27

Toby, that's good news. As that is the only weekend in July I am in the UK, I have added the date to my diary!

I am also glad i asked about judging, as I would have initially thought taste first. Tenderness and look are not as subjective, so a 'crowd pleaser' taste is the way to go I guess!

Steve, the cost of the weekend is not the issue, it is buying all the bits! I have a smoker, and the entrance fee covers the meat and charcoal (although i may bring more meat) so is very reasonable. What i don't have is a portable kitchen! However I have started picking up bits and pieces, so will get there in the end!

I think I read somewhere electric is provided in the field, is this just for caravans, or can i plug my electric cooler/warmer in?
Yeti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 21 Mar 2010, 18:39

Last year we had a standard two plug AC connection at our site. We use mains site lights to illuminate our site. Whoever ends up next to us can have the benefit of one of the lights for their site :D

I wasn't implying cost was a problem, sorry if I sounded that way, I was more saying some people might think is it worth spending that money - it is!!!! ;) . I was also trying to make the point that the kit list, or mobile kitchen, also looks like a lot of kit. This is where you'll find people will help out, there's rules that say cookers can't be shared but other things can be. We've lent out injectors, blow torches, chimney starters etc and had other things in return .

Everyone is out to make sure that everyone has a good time, that's one of the best bits about competing.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 23 Mar 2010, 14:01

Do what I have done and say 'why not?' and enter.
Toby you should have my cheque today or tomorrow.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Barbecue News