Page 1 of 1


PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 14:14
by Toby
Hi everyone,

I realise that the majority of people will not be interested in the following ePetition but I believe the more it is discussed the more it will sink in with people that fossil fuels give of gasses.

Please sign the ePetition for large warning labels on charcoal products to include disposable barbecues to educate about carbon monoxide and noxious gasses We believe this is important and would appreciate this being shared and tweeted!



Re: ePetition

PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 15:08
by keith157
Okey Dokey, some people need seriously educating. As I overheard a conversation this morning where a couple were going to use half a dozen disposable BBQs but not indoors, oh no in their conservatory attached to the kitchen. Petition signed

Re: ePetition

PostPosted: 10 May 2012, 16:16
by essarem
Yep. When I heard about the deaths on the news last night my first thought was "surely nobody would be so stupid" but then realised that many people just don't know about the dangers - why would they if they hadn't been told? Large warning label on these very important.

Petition signed.

Re: ePetition

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 08:07
by Smoky Joe
What happened was tragic so this petition is signed by me. Good Luck.


Re: ePetition

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 09:43
by Big_Fat_Dan

I've stuck it on my twitter feed and including some some big named restaurants, and asked them to retweet.

Re: ePetition

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 09:50
by Big_Fat_Dan
Also, what happened?

Re: ePetition

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 05:48
by Toby
Here is a copy of a joint press release that went out, i have been working with several CO Trusts with reference to the issue. The formatting wont be great when i paste it but you will get the idea.

Press Release…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

We, the undersigned organisations, are extremely concerned about the recent deaths and incidents in tents at campsites.

We ask the media to warn all those going on camping holidays or to music festivals this summer NOT to take a barbecue into a tent because even if it seems to have burned down, the inside of the charcoal may well still be burning and emitting carbon monoxide (CO).
CO is a deadly gas which can be emitted by the burning of any carbon based fuel. Less than 2% of CO can kill in between one and three minutes (see Para 74 Table 23 ... cosd30.pdf )
We ask the media to warn people:-
1. Never take a barbecue into a tent or canopy or any interior space such as a boat, caravan, conservatory, home or motor home, even if you think it has burned out.

2. Never cook inside a tent or canopy. There may be specially designed canopies for this purpose that are well ventilated, but if in doubt, don’t.

3. Do not take a heating stove into a tent. Make sure you have more warm clothes and sleeping bags etc. and eat more to keep warm.

4. Do not even use a bottled gas lamp in a tent. Use lamps and torches with batteries instead.

5. Do not use a generator, (normally petrol or diesel powered), near a tent or other confined space, such as a boat with a cabin.

6. Make sure you have as much ventilation as possible, even in a boat’s cabin when cooking.

7. Make sure all the products of combustion exit the boat or caravan etc.

8. As an extra safeguard use a CO alarm approved to EN 50291. Domestic CO alarms that comply with the safety standard EN 50291 and bearing the approval mark such as a and bearing the approval mark such as a BSI kitemark or LPCB mark with license number can give useful protection and the manufacturers state that temporary use inside tents is perfectly acceptable. But even if you have an alarm inside the tent, you must still never bring a barbecue inside.

9. If going abroad, take a battery operated CO alarm approved to EN 50291 with you and also use your common sense when you arrive. Do the appliances look clean or are they covered in dirty, sooty marks? If you are concerned ask to move immediately. If you can’t move immediately, at least make sure you leave a window open and put your CO alarm in your breathing zone. Never leave appliances on when sleeping

Recent deaths and incidents
Taken by the silent killer: Girl, 14, dies after being gassed by BBQ in family tent on 6th May 2012. Her parents and brother, believed to be aged 11, were rushed to hospital after tragedy struck as three sisters with their own families joined up for a Bank Holiday trip. ... bon-821719

A GIRL of six, Isabelle Harris who died in her family’s tent at a campsite on 8th to 9th April 2012 over the Easter week-end is believed to have been killed by toxic smoke from a barbecue, police said. ... fumes.html
A HILLWALKER Phil Morgan aged 49, was fighting for his life after being poisoned by his stove on 2nd to 3rd March 2012. Rescue teams found outdoors enthusiast seriously ill in a tent on a remote moor. He was suffering from severe hypothermia but tests later revealed suspected carbon monoxide poisoning and brain damage. Last night, friends were praying for him in intensive care at Borders General Hospital. Medics were also concerned about Phil’s kidneys and Trudy was waiting for the result of a brain scan. ... -23773085/

Tracy SCREEN (34) died, her husband and two children taken to hospital, on 15th August 2011, from Aberafan Camping Site in North Wales. Charcoal barbecue was beside tent.

Hazel WOODHAMS (30) died and her partner was taken to hospital from Clippesby Holiday Park near Great Yarmouth on 5th July 2011. Charcoal barbecue was inside tent.

Vincent CLARE (50) died and his wife was made seriously ill at Red Shoot Camping Park in the New Forest on 15th July 2011. Gas barbecue had been taken into the tent for warmth, then put outside again.

Richard PHILLIPS (38) died whilst sharing a 4-man tent at a motorcross event at Hungerford, Somerset on 18th September 2010. Generator fumes blew into his compartment of the tent.

Gary NEALE (49) died in a tent at the Small World gathering near Maidstone, Kent on 26th August 2010. A charcoal 'heater' to blame.

Griffiths Paul aged 43 died of CO on 08/07/2007 LPG Lamp in a tent.

© Copyright CO-Gas Safety 2012 Email Tel. 01372 466135 Mob. 07803 0888688

Signed by the following organisations:-


CO-Gas Safety,

The Katie Haines Memorial Trust

The Dominic Rodgers Trust

Mark Pratten, Crew Manager, Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service, Prevention Team
Bodmin Community Fire Station,


Trade Associations etc.
Frank Brehany - Consumer Director – HolidayTravelWatch –

Martin Ling MSc. Cert Ed. MIFireE, Fire Safety Consultant

Toby Shea, Director – international BBQ Network
President – British BBQ Society
Parliamentary Group
All Party Parliamentary Gas Safety Group


Re: ePetition

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 09:57
by keith157
I had no idea at all it was so prevelant :shock: :o
I have a small camping stove, used to heat up sauces and that came with warnings all over the place, on the box, leaflet and I think theres even advice on the stove itself.
Great work Toby, let us hope the right people take the hint.

Re: ePetition

PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 16:31
by sarry
this is a good cause that need highlighting weel done petition signed :D