Opinions please 2011 season

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Opinions please 2011 season

Postby British BBQ Society » 24 Mar 2010, 09:11

I know some people are questioning why there are only physical prizes at the events rather than cash like in the American circuit. So I wanted to ask peoples opinions.

Here is an example of the American Royal entry

Smallest Pitch fee 20 x 25 $225 everything must be contained in the pitch.
Toilet hire $85
Electric hookup $30
Trash Boxes (inc 3 liners) $6
4 main categories included in pitch fee
Additional Categories $15 each
Dessert Category $25
Charcoal $10 / bag

So say you compete in 1 additional category and the dessert your fee is $386 remember this does not include any meat and I have not included fuel.

Our fee is £150 which includes pitch, meat, charcoal, toilet, electricity, water, rubbish disposal etc. Which means that the entry fee does not actually cover the costs for each team.

My intention has always been to build the circuit to a good level where it can support itself and we are heading in the right direction. The society will not be like other comps that pop up occasionally and disappear because they do not make money. The British BBQ Society is about passion not profit.

Here are a few ideas for the 2011 season

A. Running it in the same manner as the US comps, charging for all extras, no meat included, taking a percentage of entry fees to cover running costs and offering cash prizes.

B. Raising the cost of the entry fee between £250 & £300 to cover costs and offer cash prizes

C. Keeping the entry fee as £150 but not including meat which will allow small cash prizes.

Please let me know your thoughts.
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Opinions please 2011 season

Postby Steve » 24 Mar 2010, 10:53

This could be a contentious thread :lol:

I'd go with option C.

I think £150 is a reasonable entry fee. If it's raised to £250+ then I think it would put new competitors off. For me, if it was £250 including meat, I'd have to use the provided meat instead of bringing my own.

I'd rather have my pitch and facilities included in the entry fee and provide my own meat. I'm in this because I love doing it, cash prizes are nice but they're not that big of a factor for me.

I want to see the circuit, not only survive, but also grow. We've got a good foundation to build on but these events have to cover their own costs or the circuit won't survive long term.

If we continue to grow the cicuit, then there will be more options for sponsorship in the future which will help the teams cover their costs. This means us early adopters take some cost burden on our teams :lol: but personally I think it's worth it for what we're building here.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 25 Mar 2010, 11:57

Hi Toby,

I am happy to support the format which is likely to promote the most new members. I appreciate that the circuits in the states are much more established and that they attract a lot of prize funding through sponsorship which is likely to be an issue for us for some time.

As you know for the majority of us the entry fee is a small part of the overall cost but when it is offset against the current offering it is exceptional value for money. However, as with all good things it must come to an end as you can't fund this from your own pocket indefinitely and with that in mind a future model must be sought.

My personal plans were to try and obtain a meat sponsor per event and if possible an entry fee sponsor however I'm not so naive as to think this is likely to happen anytime soon and I know that any sponsors are likely to want to see at least their costs borne out in equivalent PR/Advertising revenue. So until the circuit becomes more public in profile I'm not holding my breath.

Option C I can imagine is likely to be a preferred option, but would you be able to suggest a meat supplier that is familiar with the cuts, and perhaps with potential discounts negotiated via the BBBQS or is this thinking too far in front?

Similarly I would be happy to pay for additional categories, I know that there is a cost to you for the toilet facilities, tables, electric, bouncy castles etc and again would be more than happy to contribute to my use of this. I know cash prizes help offset the travel costs and are an incentive for more to join as the attraction of winning your entry fee back is always an bonus.

I suppose what I'm going the long way round of saying is, whatever the majority vote is I am happy to follow. The important thing for me is getting to give my trailer a run out!!!

I will be watching this thread closely as I am keen to learn other views, if there are lurkers on this thread that haven't competed and are holding off commenting as they don't think its something they should comment on then I would be keen to know what their thoughts are and what the considerations they have about entering.

Deciding factors for anyone is something I would like to know
All Weather Griller

Postby Steve » 25 Mar 2010, 13:51

I agree very strongly with Adie on 2 points -

1. I'll go with whatever will attract and retain the most new members as long as the costs incurred still remain within what I can reasonably commit to competing. I'm happy with a fee + hiring of facilities - 50p to pee and all that :lol:

2. If there are lurkers on here who haven't competed but might consider, let us know what you think, what would encourage you to give it a go, what puts you off, whether its down to cost or not etc.

I also agree that we need a sustainable model moving forward. I don't think this can be like the American model because their culture is very different in respect of BBQ, I think we will need to be more innovative in how we handle costs. One idea would be members who are more time rich than cash rich contributing time towards fundraisers for the circuit to raise its profile and bring in the money. I don't know if this would fly, it's just a thought.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 25 Mar 2010, 20:35

I have lurked on this a few times and thought it has nothing to do with me as this year will be my first competition so what do I know? But my opinion, at the minute is 'if it ain't broke why fix it?' So if there was an option d leave it as it is I would go for that. that is, obviously, until I win something then it will be ' right let's play for money' :lol:
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby All Weather Griller » 25 Mar 2010, 20:43

esselle wrote:I have lurked on this a few times and thought it has nothing to do with me as this year will be my first competition so what do I know? But my opinion, at the minute is 'if it ain't broke why fix it?' So if there was an option d leave it as it is I would go for that. that is, obviously, until I win something then it will be ' right let's play for money' :lol:

Nice! LOL :D

It's opinions such as yours that we need, it will hopefully help make the way forward a bit clearer.

Beerz

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby Yeti » 25 Mar 2010, 22:04

Another (nearly) new entrant!

My option d, has a slight amendment, leave it as it is (but increase to £200 to cover your costs if need be!)

The biggest deciding factor for me entering (I will complete my form this weekend!) was the fact meat is included. For a first timer, I think this is an important aspect, as it removes one unknown.

If this is not possible, then option c would be preferred, but an on-site (or recommended/official ) butcher would help solve the meat supply problem.

Yeti
Yeti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 28 Mar 2010, 17:17

I do hope you will accept some thoughts from a Yank, even though I may never get to compete in any of your comps.

I have only entered a few comps here in Arizona. My "team" consisted of me and a friend at the first comp, and only me at three others (my friend passed away). So my comments and thoughts are very much as a newbie, and not as a seasoned and serious competitor (even if I were seasoned, I doubt I could ever be too serious) :lol:

I really like how you have set up your comps, with a reasonable entrance fee, with the meat provided, and with just trophys as prizes. My thoughts on why I like it that way?

1. For one- or two- person teams, the reasonable entrance fee makes it much easier to decide whether or not to enter. Higher fees would probably put off a lot of people who can't split the cost among serval other folks.

2. For newbies, providing the meat is a huge plus. Everyone is starting on an equal footing, so the quality of the product is completely up to the competitors. No one is getting a big advantage by shelling out big buck (or pounds) for primo meat. So it is much easier, in your comps, for newbies to gauge exactly how they are doing.

3. My only "money win" was a 3rd place ribs (4th in chicken didn't pay) at a smallish contest. I got a trophy and $25. I can tell you, the trophy meant much more than the money. As it probably will for most of the people who are out there for the love of BBQ and not trying to make a living out of competing.

I do think all costs should be covered by the entrance fee, and no one should be out of pocket in putting on the comp.

A question for you -- do you allow vending to the public at your events? Doing so would help competitors recoup part of their entrance fee, which might allow for a higher fee and some small monetary prizes. Here in Tucson (Arizona, USA), at one comp, they advertised to the public "a buck a bone". People viewing the contest could buy tickets for $1 each and could go to the various competitors' booths and turn in the tickets for a taste of the different categories (usually one ticket for 2 rib bones or a small plate of brisket or pulled pork. at the end, the organizer would give the competors the cash for tickets that had been redeemed.

Again, just some thoughts.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby All Weather Griller » 28 Mar 2010, 17:30

Hi Mike,

I like your thinking, you have made some very valid points I particularly agree on the meat front. I know that many people will be from varying parts of the country here and that access to knowledgeable butchers will be very inconsistent.

At least if this is provided the meat playing field will be leveled, the Society has also put in place a deal with Australian Heat Beads which is not dissimilar to that of what happens with Kingsford Stateside.

Like you of the contests I have entered its the Trophies and T-shirts that mean most to me, I have particular affection for my 'Desert' Zippo. :lol:

Cheers Mike, all the best Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby Swindon_Ed » 12 Sep 2010, 19:36

Has there been any thought in offering entries for just ribs and chicken, so people who've not got the experience of cooking pork butt's or briskets can still get a taste for competition without getting put off by their inexperience with these meats.
Swindon_Ed

Next

Return to Barbecue News