Slap Yo' Daddy Aka Harry Soo BBQ Classes!

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Re: Slap Yo' Daddy Aka Harry Soo BBQ Classes!

Postby esselle » 15 Jul 2012, 17:54

Massive thanks to Harry again for coming over here and giving two classes over the weekend. We all learnt so many skills techniques and secrets. Thanks also to Toby and Kate for allowing us all to invade your space again. Thanks to Toby for making the whole thing happen so that we can improve our BBQ. What a massive success and I hope we can do it again next year.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby thesmokingpenguin » 15 Jul 2012, 18:05

RobinC wrote:Great to meet up with some fellow forum members, though i would quite happily live the rest of my days without seeing Smoking Penguin baring his bottom again!

I have to blame that incident on a combination of both Boss Hogg (that sneaky trouser puller) and a belt from Asda (I should know better by now!)

A great weekend though - so much to take in and I def will be using a lot of the advice both at home (backyard!) and in comps! Great to see so many new faces as well! Big thanks to Toby (and family), Harry and everyone else who helped put it on
thesmokingpenguin
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Nagaburns » 16 Jul 2012, 08:04

Had a brilliant weekend. Thank you Toby for your hospitality and giving me the opportunity to learn from Harry, if there was a wall of fame for dedication to British BBQ you would certainly be at the top :D

The rest of you are bonkers :lol: :lol: :lol: There are a couple of individuals though who've gone beyond bonkers and my daughter would refer to your mental condition as 'tronkers'

Thanks to everyone for making me welcome and I can't wait for next years circuit to start :D

Lee
Nagaburns
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Davy » 16 Jul 2012, 08:52

Toby you mentioned a Schwartz steak seasoning alternative to the one Harry used and I forgot to remind you off it before I left could you please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 16 Jul 2012, 09:27

Hi Davy Schwartz have released a whole load of new seasoning blends for the summer in sachets and larger jars. Asda have a sign saying exclusive to them but I don't know if they are.

http://www.schwartz.co.uk/Products/Seas ... s/BBQ.aspx
keith157

Postby aris » 16 Jul 2012, 10:15

I'm a big fan of Schwartz Season-All. Costco used to sell it in catering sizes, but sadly they don't sell it any more. They have some new American stuff which appears to be full of sugar :-(
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby esselle » 16 Jul 2012, 11:59

Just a quickie to everyone. Please remember we all paid good money to learn from Harry so maybe we don't want his secrets putting on a public forum for everyone to read who haven't paid that money. Plus, as Toby has said elsewhere, we all signed something prior to the class. ;)
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby thelawnet » 16 Jul 2012, 12:51

For anyone who didn't attend the course there are quite a few videos and articles by/about Harry online, which do contain some info. Check youtube, etc.

By going to the class you got the complete process from A to Z with the full sets of blends and different techniques he used. I would advise anyone who didn't go firstly to signup for next year, and secondly to read some of the other competition guides that are out there and try them out.

Harry said several times that he was lazy. This is not true! He worked very hard and put a lot of care and attention into his product. If you are reading someone's BBQ technique and saying 'Oh I will skip that part' or 'I can't be bothered with that', 'I don't have that equipment' or 'that product is expensive/not available in the UK, I won't use it', then that is a big mistake. No shortcuts, buy the equipment, buy the products and try them out.
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Davy » 16 Jul 2012, 12:56

keith157 wrote:Hi Davy Schwartz have released a whole load of new seasoning blends for the summer in sachets and larger jars. Asda have a sign saying exclusive to them but I don't know if they are.

http://www.schwartz.co.uk/Products/Seas ... s/BBQ.aspx

Thanks, I could never quite decide wether I liked Schwartz products or not, but they look interesting.
Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 16 Jul 2012, 12:57

For a long time, until own brands they were all the average consumer could get.
keith157

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue News