Slap Yo' Daddy Aka Harry Soo BBQ Classes!

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Re: Slap Yo' Daddy Aka Harry Soo BBQ Classes!

Postby harsoo » 30 May 2012, 04:46

OK, after a 60 day hiatus from KCBS contests (was doing classes and PNWBA-sanctioned contests), SYD is back in the top US national KCBS rankings: 1st chicken, 2nd brisket, and 4th overall.
http://kcbs.us/pointschase.php
Will be on a contest blitz the next few weeks competing almost every weekend leading up to the time I leave for Heathrow.
Am very excited and looking forward to meeting my BBQ kin folk in the UK.

I just did an interview for the Burn Blog here
http://www.burn-blog.com/3403/slap-yo-d ... -barbecue/
harsoo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Toby » 30 May 2012, 11:18

and Harry we are looking forward to seeing you!
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thelawnet » 31 May 2012, 14:17

Are there going to be any adjustments for British butchery? Or are you going to source meat butchered to US standards?

Does everybody cook everything or is it more of a watch and learn ?
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Toby » 31 May 2012, 15:10

thelawnet wrote:Are there going to be any adjustments for British butchery? Or are you going to source meat butchered to US standards?

Are you talking about the 101 or competition class?
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thelawnet » 31 May 2012, 19:34

Toby wrote:
thelawnet wrote:Are there going to be any adjustments for British butchery? Or are you going to source meat butchered to US standards?

Are you talking about the 101 or competition class?

The 101, sorry.

I could do both I guess :lol:
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby harsoo » 01 Jun 2012, 06:16

Hmmm . . .how is bone-in pork butt and beef brisket butchered in the UK. Different than US?
harsoo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 01 Jun 2012, 06:46

Hey Harry, the butt is not too different, often a bit smaller particularly if you buy some of the rare breed hogs. To be honest, I've had better butts in the UK than I've had in the US. It's a matter of telling the butcher exactly what you want but Toby's butcher is well trained :D

Brisket on the other hand is a totally different story. We can buy whole briskets so it's essentially the same as buying a packer in the US but I find them to be leaner as well as smaller. I was actually speaking to a butcher yesterday who was telling me they are leaner in Summer too as the animals slaughtered in Summer have shed their Winter fat reserves.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esselle » 01 Jun 2012, 07:18

As Steve has said Harry, you won't have any problems with the meat that Toby sources for you. One thing you might find is our pork butt is easier to trim than the ones I have had experience of in the states. The fat seams to be different....kind of softer and comes off easier. Hard to explain but definately easier to trim.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Toby » 01 Jun 2012, 07:23

All of the items for the 101 class are available in the majority of butchers in the UK, sometimes just under a different name so there is no reason to change anything. Alternative names will be given to the class for example pork butt, is very similar to a neck end. The comp class will following the meats used in the competitions, so we wouldn't change those.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rivierabbq » 02 Jun 2012, 05:41

So wishing i couldve applied for this, changed here mean i can't though...... :cry:

Hopefully things will be on the up again soon and can apply for any future classes,,........ ;)

It is good to see these type of classes being bought over to the UK though... fingers crossed there are more to come!!
Rivierabbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue News