Slap Yo' Daddy Aka Harry Soo BBQ Classes!

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Re: Slap Yo' Daddy Aka Harry Soo BBQ Classes!

Postby keith157 » 14 Jul 2012, 06:05

thelawnet wrote:
gazz_46 wrote:The eagle has landed.....Harry has started imparting knowledge already...he's a very very nice man!

It's pouring with rain!

Just got back from Guildford on my bike, totally drenched. Going to have a sleep in proper bed tonight and just the one night of camping in knee deep water and mud for me....

I'm warm and dry and jealous as can be :cry: :cry:
keith157

Postby Davy » 14 Jul 2012, 15:43

I would like to personally thank Toby for the huge amount of effort and work involved in arranging the classes and for giving us the the opportunity to learn from a wonderful and inspiring BBQ pitmaster. Everything went without a hitch and Toby was a very warm host. The food was outstanding, served on side were huge helpings of a unique sense of humour by the BBQ community (hmmmm Charlie ).
Davy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Diggin' On Swine » 14 Jul 2012, 18:39

I'll second Davy's comments - Massive thanks to Toby for hosting and of course to Harry - You'll make pitmasters of us yet!! So much quality information, I just hope I can remember it all! Oh well, lots of practise required!

Neil
Diggin' On Swine
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Toby » 14 Jul 2012, 20:21

Thanks guys its much appreciated, we are completely knackered, comp class is going well, with butt and brisket on. Everyone having a bite to eat, then chicken prep and sleep until 4am. The amount of info is truly mind boggling, and having been given a large carrier of freshly caught crayfish its been great using all......... well ok a couple of different Q's! Thanks for coming along.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RobinC » 14 Jul 2012, 20:39

Just want to add my voice to the thanks given out by others. Fantastic day, learned lots, ate lots and got a new thermapen to boot. Harry was great, no question was stupid and no question went unanswered. He took time to listen and help all of us collectively and individually.

Great to meet up with some fellow forum members, though i would quite happily live the rest of my days without seeing Smoking Penguin baring his bottom again!

Toby's hospitality was 2nd to none, I turned up on Friday just to check out where the location was and ended up getting fed steak, potatoes and great beans, To think I thought I was going to be dining on a mars bar at the Travelodge!

To those of you that didn't go, badger Toby and Harry to organise a repeat visit, you owe it to your BBQ.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby RobinC » 14 Jul 2012, 21:42

Source for tang posted in hard to find
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby thelawnet » 15 Jul 2012, 13:23

Thanks Harry & Toby, both classes were absolutely fab, the food too.
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby chokethechicken » 15 Jul 2012, 14:55

Aye, fantastic weekend and great to finally meet forum members in person too. Massive thanks Toby and Miss Piggy's help and of course Harry So. :)
I can only but look forward and work hard towards getting involved in the competition circuit early next year. :D
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby thelawnet » 15 Jul 2012, 15:36

harsoo wrote:Hmmm . . .how is bone-in pork butt and beef brisket butchered in the UK. Different than US?

The differences were surprisingly big. Ribs: scrawnier. Pork butt: butchered differently, different muscles. Chicken: scrawnier. Brisket: less marbled.

The US chicken is sold in the supermarkets with 15% by weight saline solution (1% concentration), plus maybe carageenan (like phosphates, for liquid retention), and possibly also yeast extract/HVP (for glutamates). In the UK this doesn't really go down too well with consumers, and this seemed to make quite a difference as well.

US pork and beef is sometimes saline injected too, but I don't know how common it is.
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gazz_46 » 15 Jul 2012, 16:14

Davy wrote:I would like to personally thank Toby for the huge amount of effort and work involved in arranging the classes and for giving us the the opportunity to learn from a wonderful and inspiring BBQ pitmaster. Everything went without a hitch and Toby was a very warm host. The food was outstanding, served on side were huge helpings of a unique sense of humour by the BBQ community (hmmmm Charlie ).

Couldn't put it any better myself, mainly coz I'm spent...just managed to get out of the car when I got home..I'm a totally happy knackered tho....
gr8 people - venue and food thank you all. Gathering intel, kit and know how for next year and just recieved a wealth of knowledge from Mr Soo, need to put in some practice now....hope I can join you all again soon and get more involved

Must remember not to give anything sharp to Charlie or Ed.... I fear for their safety....lol
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue News