Reds True BBQ Leeds - My thoughts

All the latest from barbecue organisations/ organisers and manufactures in the UK, if anything has been missed fell free to chip in!

Re: Reds True BBQ Leeds - My thoughts

Postby Tiny » 03 Nov 2012, 17:25

Good folk,
Are we missing the point here? A resteraunt serving the sorts of food we all love is doing so well in these tough times the majority of critiscism is about them turning folks away in droves.

I agree with the sentiments that the style of bbq we lay claim to is about to become fashionable, and indeed why not, its about taking cheap cuts and making them jolly tasty and nourishing by the application of skill and most importantly time.

I dont have the nerve to open such a venture, but I am certain that there is money to be made in well presented bbq. The risk is that for some here, and in this I dont include myself, have tasted some of the very pinnacles of the lo and slow bbq genre, hence the more commercial version of this is bound to fall a little short of the mark.

In a previous life I was priveledged to enjoy a 7 course lunch at a 3 starred michelin place in Provence. I worked in purchasing and the lucky winner of the contract was buying so it was a pinnacle based affair with much 1982 gevray chambertin and the very finest french cuisine.

But this does not mean I cannot enjoy a version of french food as peddled at the likes of a blancs brasserie, it isnt the same, not even close, but it is a decent feed for fair money.

So lets give these chaps a chance, was it a fair plate of food for a fair price? Seems that with folk voting with their feet and there wallets doesnt seem like they are doing much wrong. Another upside is that you say your chum is preparing to open a bbq joint, if this commercial parody of one is doing so well it would auger that your chum will be beating them away with a stick............

Thems me thoughts.......
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Toby » 03 Nov 2012, 17:53

Well said
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 03 Nov 2012, 20:59

Y'all know how hard it is to stay up all night and cook a brisket and a shoulder then cook some ribs and chicken well the following morning. Good! Well imagine doing that on a greater scale , day in , day out 5,6 or 7 days a week. Imagine the VAT man chasing your ass for 20% of everything you sell. Staff who f'3c& you around. Severely mashed up sleeping patterns. Risking every penny you have for the love of BBQ. You still think running a BBQ restaurant is easy? Go on! Open one up if you got big enough cojones! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 03 Nov 2012, 21:19

As much as I love food and cooking (not just BBQ), I would never go into the restaurant business. It is my idea of hell.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby crphillips » 04 Nov 2012, 10:37

I haven't said anything about running a BBQ restaurant being easy. I think it would be very hard getting everything ready in advance and making sure you have enough food but not too much that your throwing loads away and maintaining standards but.......I would have thought if you open a BBQ restaurant you would have sorted this and worked it out. Otherwise you'd be better opening a pizza restaurant.

I think it's great that they want to open a BBQ restaurant and yes it's a risk and they've got balls but a restaurant can't survive on big balls alone!....... it needs to be good also. It was the worst meal I've had in quite a while.

My emphasis wasn't on the fact they were turning people away either......and this is fine whilst your a new restaurant and people want to try it but will that method work a few years down the line when everyone is sick of turning up not knowing whether they'll get a table or not as you can't book either?

They have got proper commercial smokers by the way. There just wasn't any hint of smoke flavour in anything really.

I'm no BBQ pro.....I haven't eaten at comps, I haven't eaten at any other BBQ restaurants. I've only eaten what I've cooked myself and I can honestly say that if I had cooked those ribs myself I doubt I'd have eaten them. I definitely wouldn't have given them to guests. My ribs, brisket and pork are a million times better. I personally think that when you go out for a meal you should be able to eat something better than you can cook at home and it's is way off. Otherwise what's the point. I've only been cooking BBQ a year or two also so I'm sure I'm nowhere near the level of some.

Before ripping my review apart and getting all defensive why don't you go visit Reds and then report back. The food was bad, the service was terrible (15 mins to get a glass of water after hassling the waitress 3-4 times), we had to get our own knives and forks, our own plates, our own napkins.......and it ain't self service.

I've been, spent the money....it was bad and I won't go again for a good while. That's just the opinion from someone who has eaten there.

Do you think it's acceptable that you can walk into Costco and buy better cooked ribs than a 'True' BBQ restaurant?

I truly hope they improve as I'd love to be able to eat BBQ 15 mins away from where I live but they've got a long long way to go.

True BBQ it ain't I'm afraid.
crphillips
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Toby » 04 Nov 2012, 10:54

I dont think anyone was ripping you apart just making comments referring to your opening statement "We both run GMG Daniel Boone's and he's planning on setting up a BBQ restaurant. He's been to Texas and checked out the Salt Lick among many other BBQ joints and we thought we'd visit Reds to do some R&D and see what the competition was like."

Its a difficult game, but its great that more people are giving it a go.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby crphillips » 04 Nov 2012, 10:57

Fair do's.....it may have sounded like we're pros......my friend has a lot more experience of eating proper American BBQ than I have but i probably have more cooking it.

I've only eaten BBQ cooked by myself for friends and family. I've never had anything cooked by a pro.

There's really is nothing more I'd like than to say it was good. I love BBQ and I'd love to have a local place I could take people but the experience was severely lacking in every way.
crphillips
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 04 Nov 2012, 11:10

Hopefully you'll open up a franchise in Herts/Beds area when you've got going.
keith157

Postby Tiny » 04 Nov 2012, 11:37

Nothing wrong with your review it reflected your experience, which sounded pretty poor on most fronts, and it is my experience that when service and approach is poor you cast a more critical eye over the profferred fare.

One point you make is quite interesting, if you are top good at a particular style of cooking do you look to eat it when out?

I have many culinary shortcomings but believe I have truly mastered the steak in all its various forms. With an excellent butcher I know I can rely on I now never order the steak when out.

My rationale is I know I can rely on the quality of the meat I buy, I know exactly how I like my steak and can deliver it to my plate thus, hence why would I risk a £20 note on someone doing a poorer job than I can do better myself?

For me I usually head for something I enjoy but havent mastered like fish.

Wonder whether if you have a love of bbq and are really rather good at it it will be difficult to find a commercial venture that does it at least as well as you do yourself?

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby crphillips » 04 Nov 2012, 12:09

Totally fair point.........I generally do avoid foods I've mastered at home but I haven't considered myself as a master of BBQ.

I've only just managed to consistently cook perfect ribs every time. I'm pretty good with a brisket (got 4kg on the smoker as we speak for Sunday dinner tonight). Pulled pork has been hit and miss but i have done some excellent pork but can't quite replicate it every time.

When we were planning on going to Reds I did expect it wouldn't be as good as what I could cook because a restaurant turning out 200 covers or so isn't going to take the time and effort over a piece of meat that I do when cooking for friends and family.....but allowing for cutting a few corners and maybe skimping on top notch ingredients it was a million miles away. Not even close. I was happy to make allowances for it being a commercial venture but it was really poor.

The guy I was with has been to plenty of places in the USA and he said that they have no issue replicating home cooked BBQ. Why can't we over here? Or is it like Indian restaurants where they purposefully dumb it down so it appeals to the masses?
crphillips
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue News