Hot Dawg

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Hot Dawg

Postby Chris__M » 24 Jun 2011, 15:52

Usually when I do bangers in a bun, it is some type of traditional British sausage, which is all well and good, but it doesn't feel like a proper hot dog to me.

Supermarket franke(n)furters don't cut it with me - they seem to be more fat than anything else.

I remember going to numerous US airbase airshows in the 1980's, where the various squadron/flights would hold competing BBQ stands to raise money for their mess funds. Some of the stuff I remember there were great, and were referred to as "Weiners" or "Polish Sausage". These were really meaty, and I recall some being pork, but some definitely being beef sausage of some kind.

So where would one buy such delicacies in the UK? I feel that living alongside East Anglia and Lincolnshire, Polish Sausage should be readily available, but I haven't seen anything around that resembles the jumbo sized things I remember eating.

Anyone have any ideas?
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Hot Dawg

Postby chokethechicken » 24 Jun 2011, 16:42

After doing a spot of googling it would seem that the London Selfridges Food Hall has a cabinet with very good polish style beef hot dogs.

I'm popping in to London tomorrow to catch the Lucha Future show so will try and visit Selfridges on the way back home. :D
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 24 Jun 2011, 17:22

Oh, excellent.

It's not often that my Google-Fu lets me down - I commend you! :lol:

If you do manage to pick some up, will be interested in what you think of them.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 24 Jun 2011, 18:18

Check out your local Tesco Extra mine has a whole aisle for Polish food.
JEC

Postby Burntwood boy » 24 Jun 2011, 19:48

I grilled some herta frankfurters tonight and they were very nice, not as fat as I like but still tasty. They just needed some chilli, and sharp cheese maybe some jalapenos on top!!

You've got me going now I love chilli dogs.......

Got them from sommerfields by the way....
Burntwood boy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Burntwood boy » 24 Jun 2011, 19:50

Just had another thought, I am sure with good hot dogs they steam the bun. I reckon that makes all the difference it seems lighter and moister......but how would we do that easily without a bun steamer. Answers on a postcard please ;)
Burntwood boy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Burntwood boy » 24 Jun 2011, 19:56

chokethechicken wrote:
I'm popping in to London tomorrow to catch the Lucha Future show so will try and visit Selfridges on the way back home. :D

I went there last time I was in London for the weekend, FOOD HEAVEN!!!!!

I really wanted to try the fresh pastrami sarnies on offer they looked awesome, if I had Twenty wishes maybe number 14 would be to have a door in my kitchen that leads directly into selfridges food hall. Like that's gonna help the diet!!!!
:lol:
Burntwood boy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby joker smoker » 25 Jun 2011, 09:30

1/4lb all beef kosher hot dogs are what you're looking for...available in Stamford Hill, Golders Green and errr..Costco!
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby joker smoker » 25 Jun 2011, 09:34

Burntwood boy wrote:Just had another thought, I am sure with good hot dogs they steam the bun. I reckon that makes all the difference it seems lighter and moister......but how would we do that easily without a bun steamer. Answers on a postcard please ;)

Wrap your bun in foil and leave in the cooler side of your smoker for 20-3o mins...seems to work for me..
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Burntwood boy » 25 Jun 2011, 10:23

joker smoker wrote:
Burntwood boy wrote:Just had another thought, I am sure with good hot dogs they steam the bun. I reckon that makes all the difference it seems lighter and moister......but how would we do that easily without a bun steamer. Answers on a postcard please ;)

Wrap your bun in foil and leave in the cooler side of your smoker for 20-3o mins...seems to work for me..

Will definitely try that.....thanks for the tip
Burntwood boy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Anything Butt