Dog eat Dog!!

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: Dog eat Dog!!

Postby jaymaxruby » 06 Feb 2010, 19:18

I am tempted with the comp but might leave it until next year, how many competitors are expected steve.
Regards andy.
jaymaxruby
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 06 Feb 2010, 21:18

You'd have to check with Toby, I don't know how many are set to compete yet. Last year we had 10 teams or so. We're hoping to grow it a little this year, but it's a slow thing to get rolling you know.

The first comp in May is held at Toby's place, we all camp in his field and cook, Toby sorts out porta-loos and generally looks after us all very well. Last year the comp was used as a training session for first time competitors (like myself).

The points system is different this year, so to the overall champion will be the team with the most points over the two comps but still the likes of us, Bite The Bullet and Stick T' Kettle On at the very least will be completely open and sharing tips and tricks. We're in this to promote real BBQ and we got our dream chance to compete in Kansas last year so we want to pass on what we learned over there.

I was hesitant last year because I'd not been smoking that long when the first comp rolled around and I thought I wasn't experienced enough. But I gave it a go and got hooked. The best thing is the people, I've made friends like Toby, Adie, Chris, Jackie (and their respective families) who are some of the best people you could ever meet. We're all from different backgrounds and do different jobs and stuff but we all get together in a field a few times a year, sink some beers, cook some good food, learn some great tips form each other and have a great time.

I cook much better food as a result of competing.

Have a think about it, if you start leaning towards having a go and want to know anything more just give me a shout.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 07 Feb 2010, 10:03

Hi Andy,

I would like to second what Steve has said, we (the members) have had a very successful first year in the society and have had some tremendous opportunities merely as a result of turning up. This is all thanks to Toby, Kate and that Mad Cow we know and love Jacky (The Simon Cowell of BBQ Judges). I have learned many tricks on the circuit not least the biggest tip which is... If in doubt ask. Oh and not to stand too close when Jacky has her Queen B*tch T-Shirt on.

I remember the social last year when Chicago Jack came down from Wigan, he tipped up with a couple of beers, a jacket and his return ticket. By the time he'd sunk his second beer a tent turned up, spare duvet, inflatable bed and he was fully accommodated on the proviso he cooked dinner.

I distinctly remember he was leaving at 3, then we checked the train time so he was leaving at 5, we checked again, then he was leaving at 7 ultimately he caught the last train back (Only just).

Even if you don't fancy competing come along and I'm sure you won't regret it. It's totally family friendly... Or at least it was until my son nicked Royal Q's mascot at the Grand Final in Rother Valley last year and took photo's of it around the venue, now they are looking at booby trapping it (So be warned).

Beerz and have a great weekend, what's left of it.

Steve,

I noted in Ray's book he has a section specifically for Superbowl weekend.
All Weather Griller

Postby THRILLIN GRILLIN » 07 Feb 2010, 20:40

ahhh the blow up cow mascot I remember that being thrown around the field at rother valley. I believe their thinking of either strapping a bomb jacket to it or placing strategically placed land mines around it. As all weather griller and steve have said even if your not competing get yourself down there even if its just for the day all the teams are really friendly and they're all happy to share any tips or answer questions you might have. The social at Toby's place is probrably the best place to meet all the teams it a little more relaxed.

chris
THRILLIN GRILLIN
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby jaymaxruby » 07 Feb 2010, 21:04

I am thinking i will come down for a day with the kids but i doubt there will be enough chicken on site for my youngest boy and im not sure i should put anyone thru all my kids in 1 place at 1 time lol.
jaymaxruby
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 08 Feb 2010, 06:08

Toby could always despatch the noisy cockerels before we get there!!! LOL

Look forward to meeting you guys.

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby Steve » 08 Feb 2010, 08:55

If we can put up with Adie's Cow-napping kids then we can put up with any kids :lol:

It'll be good to meet you.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 08 Feb 2010, 19:45

Hi there,
I'd just like to confirm what a great bunch of people the guys at BBBQS are. It's true that the friendship and hospitality shown to me at last years social was nothing short of amazing. All these guys will help you with anything you need to know about BBQ but getting yourself and your family to a competition will be an incredible learning experience.Do whatever you can to be at both competitions and you won't regret it.
Peace, Love and Barbecue,
Chicago Jack
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Anything Butt