memorial day in USA whats similar in UK?

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

memorial day in USA whats similar in UK?

Postby thebarbecuemaster » 26 May 2012, 02:01

hi.

this is the start of bbq season in the USA where 75 percent of Americans have grills and will be grilling on the weekend. Is there something similar in Great Britain was curious?
thebarbecuemaster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: memorial day in USA whats similar in UK?

Postby KamadoSimon » 26 May 2012, 08:21

Not really - we do have memorial days for fallen soldiers - but it isn't marked in the same way as it is in the USA.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 26 May 2012, 13:04

Sadly we don't have a traditional BBQ season in the UK, mostly it's the first hint of hot dry weather like the last couple of days and people rush out to buy a new el cheapo grill, rush back because they forgot the charcoal & starter fluid, rush back into the supermarket to pick up a "bargain pack" of 50 pieces of "assorted bbq food for about 1/10th of what you would pay for good product. (Yes we had to go to the supermarket this morning not for any of the above I hasten to add) :cry: :cry: :cry:
They will burn the outside of the sausages whilst keeping the inside nice and raw, burn the frozen 2oz burgers nice and crisp, stuff them into a huge bun with an acidic greasy mayonaise based sauce with wilted lettuce and hard tomatoes They will scorch the skin of the chicken drumsticks and leave the middle nice and pink and give them to their children to "enjoy". They will then have a few beers too many, fall asleep in the sun, wake up with sunburn if their lucky, heatstroke if they aren't. Stagger into the house without cleaning the grill, allow it to fester and rust in the enevitable rain that will follow our 3 days of summer and tell all their friends that they had a wonderful time.

The next hot dry spell they will do exactly the same......now you know why we frequent this forum :lol: :lol: :lol:
keith157

Postby keith157 » 26 May 2012, 13:08

We do have an Armed Forces Day which celebrates our men and women in uniform which is a fairly recent innovation and is on 30th June this year. It ranges from small community events to large spectacular events, but it still doesn't get the publicity it deserves.
keith157

Postby JEC » 26 May 2012, 13:55

As above we don't have a public holiday similar to Memorial Day but the last week of May is National BBQ Week, it starts on May 28th for the 16th year this year
JEC

Postby thelawnet » 26 May 2012, 22:38

We have Remembrance Sunday, but it's in November, and only the most dedicated are BBQing then.
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Minesamojito » 28 May 2012, 21:10

nice one keith, you've got it spot on there mate, so what do you do when you go to one of these so-called bbq's? do you bite your tongue and say how nice the food is|??
cheers
marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby thebarbecuemaster » 28 May 2012, 21:34

thanks for the information,everyone here in the usa get so absorbed with bbqing and vacationing that we tend to forget what memorial day is alot of the time- to appreciate the fallen soldiers
thebarbecuemaster
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 29 May 2012, 05:20

Minesamojito wrote:nice one keith, you've got it spot on there mate, so what do you do when you go to one of these so-called bbq's? do you bite your tongue and say how nice the food is|??
cheers
marcus

No I'm polite and well mannered and will joke around the subject except where they are going to feed undercooked food to children. I've been asked, not sarcastically, to take over or to help with valid suggestions. Most people know I've been grilling (I used to think I was BBQing ;) ) for years and don't have any problems with my suggestions. Tact and good humour win through, lets face it if they aren't interested in my opinion then the onus, and gaviscon, is on them. :D
keith157

Return to Anything Butt