UK Winter BBQing

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

UK Winter BBQing

Postby smokey elk » 24 Nov 2012, 15:47

Hi All

We've had fun here this week, fighting the elements to have a UK Winter BBQ (test run!)

We toyed with having the PRO Q out in the garden open to wind rain and hail to fabricating somesort of shelter to installing it in the garage (vehicles and fuel cans removed!) with a Heath Robinson vent to the outside.

I've unsuccessfully searched on here to see if this has been discussed before, curiously Ive not found such a thread - but perhaps thats down to my searching skills?!?

Having had so much 'fun' with this at our house, I am wondering what everyone else does to fight through the British Winter without giving up on a tasty Q??

Do you move your trusty smoker inside? Or build a lean to? Or buy some sort of 'lovenest' outhouse where you and your Q can hang out together when its cold outside???
smokey elk
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: UK Winter BBQing

Postby MrJaba » 24 Nov 2012, 16:05

I"m having the same issue, my plan so far is to get a gazebo as I think a few others on this forum have and hide under that!
MrJaba
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby CyderPig » 24 Nov 2012, 16:24

Gazebo and warm clothes, water heater jacket for the UDS!

Cheers
Simon
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 24 Nov 2012, 16:51

I just use a big garden umbrella and run the smoker about 10f hotter than I normally would in the winter and that's always worked well for me.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Toby » 24 Nov 2012, 16:56

It has been discussed a few times, i will try and find the thread, key thing is find an area next to the house thats sheltered from the wind, that is your main enemy with temp control. people have tried all sorts including bike shelters, did a quick search on google and came up with this http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/ ... ?oid=17248

As you wont be touching the lid on the smoker ;) for hours at a time, get yourself a raincoat :lol:
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 24 Nov 2012, 17:09

I've posted this picture before, but in case it helps anyone, I'll do so again. I have my grill set up behind my garage. This meant that power (for the pellet grill, and the lights) just meant drilling through the wall, and it was easy to build this shelter.

The structure itself was sold as a "log store". There are numerous ones available on the web, but ideally you want one that either has no base, or - at least - doesn't rely on it to support the structure.

This shelter keeps the grill completely dry, but not the guy doing the cooking. However, that's what waterproofs are for.

For various reasons, I haven't done any cooking for a couple of months, but I was in Tescos on Thursday, and they had bone-in pork shoulders, for a tenner each. Not big, but decent enough, so I bought two. I should have cooked them yesterday, while it was sunny; today was wet as a fisherman's slipper.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Eddie » 24 Nov 2012, 17:10

Fishing umbrella works for me :D

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Del A » 24 Nov 2012, 17:12

I have found that a cheap option is a basics gazebo from home base,But with weights as well as ropes.
last one got wrecked when i eft it overnight.
Del A
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby derekmiller » 26 Nov 2012, 10:48

I am with the Gazebo and thick coat brigrade

phpNHFgLsAM.jpg
phpNHFgLsAM.jpg (81.14 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keith157 » 26 Nov 2012, 11:13

We are working out a mnore secure method of fixing our gazebo after nearly losing it despite 40Kg of weights on the legs. Due to the wonderful design of our garden we can't put it against the back door but may have to revamp the garden layout in some way for next year................
keith157

Next

Return to Anything Butt