UK Winter BBQing

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: UK Winter BBQing

Postby Col (Shizzling) » 13 Dec 2012, 18:24

Here's a prototype of my Pulled Pork & Memphis Slaw sandwich.

Col (Shizzling)
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 13 Dec 2012, 19:02

Looks very British :-) I'm thinking it needs more meat :)
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Col (Shizzling) » 13 Dec 2012, 19:45

You're right about using more meat - I'm upping the amount for the Farmers Market.

I'd have gone for the trad white sliced bread, but I think people expect something a bit more special at a UK Farmers Market so I've fancied it up a bit.

My ideal would be butchers paper with meat on it, nothing else, like Kreuz Market, but it wouldn't fly over here.
Col (Shizzling)
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 13 Dec 2012, 20:15

People eat with their eyes. Make it big and charge accordingly. The less hungry will go halves with someone else (offer to cut it in half). Personally, I would drop the poppyseeds too.

Whatever you do make sure it is edible by eating with one and while standing.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby smokey elk » 15 Dec 2012, 22:37

Good luck tomorrow

Have you been up all night smoking ???
smokey elk
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Col (Shizzling) » 17 Dec 2012, 09:13

I was woken 7am Saturday by my young son.. ..went to bed 7pm Sunday.

It was my mother in laws birthday so, after the market, we packed up, drove home, unpacked, then went for a pub dinner. To be honest, it was only when I got back home after that and sat down that the fatigue set in.

The market, according to several other stall holders, was about 50% down on normal takings.

We still managed to make enough profit for the whole experience to be worthwhile. This, despite the fact that I overcatered. We took 2 pork shoulders and a brisket and a half. Came back with most of one of the shoulders plus the half brisket. Would have been better to do one of each - more profit too.

The hot links that we had made by a butcher to a spice mix of our own went down very well, as did the home made BBQ sauces.

Also, we learned loads of lessons that will make the next one easier - in the prep, the market itself, plus pack away and clean up.

I'll definitely do the Berkhamsted market again and I'm now looking for somewhere with a higher footfall - maybe a Saturday market - to sell at.
Col (Shizzling)
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Col (Shizzling) » 17 Dec 2012, 21:09

Correction - apparently I dozed off a couple of times at the pub dinner(!)
Col (Shizzling)
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby smokey elk » 17 Dec 2012, 22:06

At least you didnt fall asleep at the market

Did you take an updated picture of your sandwich for sale? Any pics of your pitch? What kit did you use? .........

............. and finally, did you sit until 4 with the smoker before rising at 7 ?? Was your young Son wired to a Maverick??
smokey elk
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Col (Shizzling) » 17 Dec 2012, 23:01

I did the smoking from 3pm Sat onwards.

Pork in at 3pm, out at 4am.
Brisket in at 6pm, out at 5am.

I have a self built breeze block smoker, modelled after the brick smokers they have in Texas. I *think* it gives a better taste than bullet style smokers, but I'm possibly deluding myself to justify the outlay and eyesore of building a bunker in the back garden. Anyway, when the smoker warms up it really holds heat, so you need a smaller fire to prevent the temps from running away. You also need to run at 280f and above - anything lower and the fire is probably failing. I have no problem with this higher temp range - meat cooks quicker and still has the right texture, moisture and taste, and all the pit men using brick pits in Texas told me they run at around 300.

On previous runs this year I was using garage bought charcoal but I found that controlling the fire was a nightmare. I bought a load of Big K lump and briquettes last month, both restaurant grade, and it has made temperature control and fire stability much better. I'm also burning massive chunks of oak - up to 3kg each - rather than chips or small chunks. At some point, if I can secure a dependable and economical supply, I might move to wood only smoking, like they do in Texas.

I might get my firebox modified soon - it's basically a hearth with vents through to the smoking chamber and a couple of tin trays across the front that I wiggle and jiggle to adjust air intake. I'd prefer something more sturdy - plate steel, with slid able vents - as ai think this will also make the fire more stable.

The pitch was a 3m square. Used a home gazebo, a 2m by 75cm table to hold 2 chafers, a slow cooker and slaws. A second table faced the customers and had menus, pics of the food, and various pickles and sauces. At the back I had a camping cupboard that held paper plates and bowls, with a bread board on top to slice the buns. Off to one side was my hand wash stand. A friend of mine took the cash so that I didn't have to wash my hands after every order. Once we got a rhythm going it was great.

I transported the meats on-site in HACCP approved hot boxes. Links and brisket went in chafers and I pulled the pork shoulders, putting the meat into the slow cooker and mixing in some Carolina red sauce.

I carved the brisket To order, still in the chafer, as I didn't want to preslice and have it dry out. This worked well.

I made 2 slaws - Memphis slaw and Carolina slaw - the majority of people opted for the Memphis, so I may only do that one next time. I'd like to try selling BBQ beans, potato salad and collard greens but I thnk that may be more suitable for event catering than the 'meal in a bun' concept I have for the market.

2 interesting/unexpected things.
1. Somebody preordered a 2kg smoked pork joint, for reheating and pulling at home, via my Facebook page.
2. Someone else enjoyed his brisket sandwich so much that he has ordered a whole smoked brisket to be delivered 23rd December.

Both of these make me think that the markets will be a good doorway into catering for events, functions, and private sales.

Apologies for the overly long post - wanted to cover the bases properly.
Col (Shizzling)
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 17 Dec 2012, 23:57

Well done to you! Hope your business picks up and I may well visit you at the berkamstead market in the future!

I must take my hat off to you - as much as I love food and BBQ, working in the food trade would be my personal version of hell :-)
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Butt