Clay Saucer Method

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Clay Saucer Method

Postby All Weather Griller » 19 Jun 2010, 20:26

Hello,

I thought I would post a topic which outlined exactly what the "Clay Saucer" Method is;

Basically it is an alternate to using the water pan which I find provides much more control and efficiency when smoking especially in low temperatures, over night and on competitions.

I have a standard 47cm WSM which houses a 36cm Flower Pot Clay Base. Most garden centres will stock them, it may be worth asking if these fit the excel as I don't know.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/sa/sankey-colormatt-saucer-terracotta-10cm-4-inch.jpg

You basically foil this and place it in your waterpan. I used a lot of foil to try and create a seal.

Image Image Image

Image Image

I have to say the cost of this solution is around £5 but the savings on fuel can be recovered in two cooks!
All Weather Griller

Re: Clay Saucer Method

Postby philnewts » 21 Jun 2010, 06:50

What do you think about the moisture debate? I want to try this method especially after fighting low temps (see other post), but do not want to dry out the food. ;)
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 21 Jun 2010, 07:42

Hi Phil,

I can honestly say I have not noticed any difference in the moisture of the foods between both methods.

I have also switched to using foil trays part way through the cooks.

I would have to say give it a go I doubt you'll regret it.

Cheerz

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby philnewts » 21 Jun 2010, 20:19

Foil trays on top of the saucer? Do you add water to the trays - sorry if I misunderstand.
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 21 Jun 2010, 21:33

Hi Phil,

No, I don't add water. I'll break a pork butt cook I do down for you:

1. I add the Pork Shoulder to the smoker once it has reached a temp of around 245.

(It's important to remember that if the meat is cold when you put it on your smoker it will have a negative impact on your temps as all that cold mass has a cooling effect, My advice is if you are going to bed don't compensate your vents for it)

2. For the next 2-4 hours I will add wood chips every 45 mins to get an even coat over the meat.

3 . After about four hours I will take the butt of the smoker grate and sit it in a foil tray, this basically retains some of the stock. I will use some of this for the sauce and some for basting.

4. When my butt begins its "stall" period I lightly baste but add some BBQ Sauce (This is referred to as the mop)

5. Whilst I am mopping I add additional wood chips (My theory is some of the smoke may perfume the mop)

6. I cover the butt in the tray with foil when the meat hits the internal temp of 195.

7. I let it rest for a couple of hours in a Cambro and ready for pulling.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask away.
All Weather Griller

Postby philnewts » 21 Jun 2010, 21:38

That helps a lot, thanks gonna look into mops now. ;)
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby philnewts » 21 Jun 2010, 21:43

Just looked up Cambro. My credit card may take a beating :shock:
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 21 Jun 2010, 21:48

Hi Phil,

Take a look on ebay, my tip on the Cambro front is not to rush in, you should be able to pick one up for around £100 in good condition.

If I do a practice butt before the comp (Which is likely), I will give you a shout I only live in Worksop so it's about 45 mins from you. You would be more than welcome to see what I do and sample it, it may give your missus an excuse to hit Meadowhall.

I'm not saying mine is the best you will taste but it may give you something to benchmark against.
All Weather Griller

Postby philnewts » 28 Jun 2010, 18:06

Well well well........ it could be the best £4 I have ever spent. Used the clay saucer method and was much more patient with my lump and the minion method - cooker held at 225 degrees for 10 hours with no messing :D

I am getting the hang of this now!

Thanks for the tip
philnewts
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 28 Jun 2010, 18:11

Yeah baby!

and... i'm betting you had more control with your vents.
All Weather Griller

Next

Return to Anything Butt