Clay Saucer Method

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: Clay Saucer Method

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 27 Apr 2011, 21:54

Another question on this. I have bewen using sand and it is OK, but I am going to try the clay saucer method.

I have an Excel 20. I could get a 36cm saucer, which would drop right down into the water pan. I could also get a 46cm saucer, which is only a couple of cm shy of beingthe entire width or the rim of the water pan. and should sit right on the water pan brakets. Should I go with the big one for $25 US or the 36cm for $10 US?
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby All Weather Griller » 28 Apr 2011, 06:31

Hi Mike, a friend of mine did that on a WSM and sat the saucer directly over the fire without the water pan and he found it cracked it on the first cook. I think the shielding of the water pan may help.

Although over time they do crack anyway.

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby Mike_P_in_Tucson » 28 Apr 2011, 15:26

Thanks, the 36cm saucer it is.
Mike_P_in_Tucson

Postby chokethechicken » 27 Jun 2011, 15:40

Just to add to this; I used the clay saucer method for the first time yesterday for pork shoulder and ribs and it worked really well indeed. The meat turned out just as moist as the previous time when I used the water pan.

Will be sticking to the CSM from now on!
chokethechicken
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MrBlue » 27 Jun 2011, 16:28

we've tried water.......sand..............bricks in the water pan - but clay saucer wins hands down..........piece of whatsit to clean too! :lol:
MrBlue
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 27 Jun 2011, 17:29

Do yo wrap it in foil? Never had a problem with mine, just take old dirty foil off and replace with shiny new foil.
JEC

Postby All Weather Griller » 27 Jun 2011, 18:15

JEC wrote:Do yo wrap it in foil? Never had a problem with mine, just take old dirty foil off and replace with shiny new foil.

Yep, foil everything, the water pan, clay saucer and or any other source you use. I have a couple of bricks from a storage heater in my WSM.
All Weather Griller

Previous

Return to Anything Butt