New BBBQS Websites in beta form

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

New BBBQS Websites in beta form

Postby Steve » 03 Aug 2010, 22:49

Hi everyone,

We're about to launch a whole new family of BBBQS websites, this includes drastic changes to the main site, a refit of these forums and a number of new sites.

Two of the new sites have just gone into beta tonight, I'd appreciate it if you guys could take a look and point out any issues or mistakes you spot.

Notes

Neither of these have been tested on Windows yet - windows machines are not allowed in my house :D , so I'll have to test them at work tomorrow.

There will be galleries added to these sites, but as I'm setting up a managed content system I'm still exploring the best solution for adding galleries in.

Please excuse the pictures on the Ready Steady Q site, they're not from Ready Steady Q and are just reasonable looking placeholders. They will be replaced soon.

The sites...
http://www.pitmasters.co.uk
http://www.readysteadyq.co.uk

These sites may go up and down over the next couple of days as we resolve issues with them. There is also a new BBBQS main site in the works along with a BBQ recipe site on the way too. I'll publish details of these when they're ready to go into beta form.

Hope you like the sites, post any feed back on this thread.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New BBBQS Websites in beta form

Postby British BBQ Society » 04 Aug 2010, 08:22

Hi Steve,

Just looked over the sites using windows and firstly they look brilliant, thank you. I havent found any problems yet and willl let you know if I do. the British BBQ Society is definitly going in the right direction.
thanks for all of your hard work

Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 04 Aug 2010, 09:54

Looking Good,

Is the BBBQS Logo now agreed? Need to know before next week then need an image.

Ta
All Weather Griller

Postby stickthekettleon » 04 Aug 2010, 17:44

They're really good Steve, looks like a lot of hours and toil went into them. Well done.
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 04 Aug 2010, 18:26

DrSweetsmoke wrote:
Disqualification

There is evidence of blood such that the meat is uncooked.

So serving beef rare is not allowed??

It sounds like this is open to interpretation.

I would interpret "There is evidence of blood SUCH that the meat is uncooked" as:

Blood in Chicken would suggest that type of meat is uncooked, same for Pork and Ribs, however, in a Steak that would be different.

All that said these rules are applicable to the Pitmaster Family of competitions, there are separate rules for the Ready Steady Q, Grill Fest and KIDS Q and I would guess that these will be subject to their own rules.

I'm just surmising here. As I understand it, in 2011 BBBQS will be an umbrella for a wider family of events... some of which aren't really my cup of tea but if I'm there doing a Pitmaster comp I will have a pop.

The BBBQS comps that I'm interested in competing in are the Pitmasters, I think there will be more Ready Steady Q comps held in various locations so like Grillstock, I won't be so fussed on packing up the trailer and caravan and kids to enter a comp that may last a couple of hours and where there may not be any overnight camping.

If there are any of these comps at the same venue as the Pitmaster comps that I attend then obviously I will have a pop. I wouldn't mind traveling to judge a different comp style though.

I think the idea is to promote Q of any kind but in the right way, no point in chopping and changing rules to have one comp that attempts to please everyone, if I understand Toby right his view is to have separate comps with their own disceplines/genres where people know exactly what they get at the point they download the entry form or even at a glance.

I.e you enter a Pitmasters comp, you would immediately know that you play by Pitmasters rules, these will be interpreted I think as above, blood in the meat would be a disqualification. If you enter the Grill Fest event then blood in a steak served rare or medium rare would be acceptable, same for Kids Q and all the qualification ages would apply there also. Similarly if you were to get Lamb in the Ready Steady Q then perhaps blood would be permissible.

Two things here:

1. Toby is my understanding correct?
2. Is this the way forward? (I think it is, I would much prefer to have comps where the rules on the day are the same rules I read when applying)
All Weather Griller

Postby British BBQ Society » 04 Aug 2010, 18:58

Hi Adie, you are spot on,as with any BBQ comeptiton you have to feed judges, if you go rare instead of medium with beef your entry may be unedible. With pitmasters you know the food is slow cooked and evidence of blood will be interprated as a Baiis up......... I am supprised that this point was raised by an experienced BBQ'r
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stickthekettleon » 04 Aug 2010, 21:49

:D
stickthekettleon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MadCow » 05 Aug 2010, 13:54

Looks great ... I'm sure we'll all come up with tweaks, whinges and maybe some changes, but I think we should all thank Steve for doing such a great job and maybe give him a cheer for a change !! :D
MadCow

Postby All Weather Griller » 05 Aug 2010, 19:09

Knowing him he would prefer a beer to a cheer :lol:
All Weather Griller

Postby MadCow » 05 Aug 2010, 19:20

or maybe even a Jack ??? :lol:
MadCow

Next

Return to Anything Butt