Field Report on my first bbq on my Traeger

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Field Report on my first bbq on my Traeger

Postby Banjo » 15 Aug 2010, 15:33

First results from my new Traeger:
Beef
It was a small topside joint, weighing just over 1lb. I used a Traeger Beef rub and refrigerated overnight. Into the Traeger on Smoke for 3 hours, then wrapped in foil, a little wine added, and back in on Medium. It reached 160 after an hour, so I fetched it off and let it rest.
I was pleased with the smoke ring and nice colour throughout, but the meat was a bit chewy. I think that was down to the actual cut of meat - I don't usually buy topside because I find it very dry, but this was nice and moist.
6 out of 10.

Ribs
Small rack of Babybacks. Removed the membrane, rubbed with Cookshack Rib Rub and left overnight.
Went into the Traeger with the beef on Smoke for 3 hours. Spooned over my homemade BBQ sauce, wrapped in foil and back on the grill. Fetched off after a hour and half and left to rest.
The ribs were absolutely delicious :D They were nice and sticky with the sauce, but not 'sloppy', a lovely colour and suculent taste.
Definately a 10 out of 10

Chicken
I had two large chicken legs which I rubbed with Cookshack Chicken Rub and left overnight.
I put them into the Traeger when I had turned it to Medium, so they had about 90 minutes. Turned them a couple of times.
They were very juicy and succulent and full of flavour - so tasty that I almost forgot to take the piccy :D
9 out of 10.

For sides I did Corn on the cob, baked sweet potato and grilled Portobello mushrooms which I had garlic'd up. All cooked on the Traeger

All in all, I was very pleased with the first results. The Traeger really is a class piece of kit.

As regards pellet use, the pellet hopper was filled yesterday for the initial burning in (2 hours) and used for cooking today (5 hours) and the level had only fallen 3" so a lot more economical than I thought :)
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Field Report on my first bbq on my Traeger

Postby Steve » 15 Aug 2010, 15:34

Looking good!

Glad to see you're enjoying the Traeger.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby British BBQ Society » 15 Aug 2010, 15:48

Excellent news Frank
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 15 Aug 2010, 17:16

great to see you enjoying the Traeger......and whats more.?........even the clean up is easy :lol:
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Anything Butt