Supagrill Wonder Briquettes

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Supagrill Wonder Briquettes

Postby Askoir » 14 Apr 2014, 12:30

Hi All,

Has anyone used these on seen any reviews on them yet?
Keen to see how they stack up against Heat Beads as they are a lot cheaper.

Links to them

http://www.supagrill.co.uk/supagrill-wo ... %93-12kg-2
http://www.coals2u.co.uk/supagrill-wond ... 80%93-12kg

Thanks,

Zak
Askoir
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Supagrill Wonder Briquettes

Postby ConorD » 14 Apr 2014, 20:35

I have a stack of heat beads to get through but may try them after just to see and not a bad price if they are as good (£1/KG)
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Askoir » 15 Apr 2014, 08:51

Picked up two bags so will try out over the Easter weekend & let you know what I think of them.
Hope they are as good as they say as I have always got on well with Supagrill products
Askoir
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ConorD » 15 Apr 2014, 12:54

Have you used Heat Beads to compare as I love them - mainly cos there is so much left after a cook.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Askoir » 15 Apr 2014, 21:10

I have used heat beads quite a few times but not recently. Have a few bags in my garage but saving them for special occasions. I mainly use big k restaurant lump now but for longer cooks have been working my way through the many bags of Weber briquettes I got when Argos were selling off the 3kg bags at £1.99 each. If these new briquettes are anywhere near as good as heat beads then I will be very happy considering the cost.
Askoir
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Scantily » 18 Apr 2014, 18:57

I too would be very interested in how these perform. I mainly use restaurant lump from bookers and have tried heat beads for a few cooks. Didn't notice any distinct advantages apart from the obvious benefits of the consistent briquette shape and none of the crushed up chumbly bits you get at the bottom of lump bags, downside being they're mighty expensive!
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Scantily » 22 Apr 2014, 00:18

Askoir wrote:I have used heat beads quite a few times but not recently. Have a few bags in my garage but saving them for special occasions. I mainly use big k restaurant lump now but for longer cooks have been working my way through the many bags of Weber briquettes I got when Argos were selling off the 3kg bags at £1.99 each. If these new briquettes are anywhere near as good as heat beads then I will be very happy considering the cost.

Hello buddy, any update on how well the new wonder briquettes compare against heat beads & restaurant quality lump?

Thanks.
Scantily
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Askoir » 22 Apr 2014, 12:23

Done a couple of cooks with them over the weekend. On both occasions it was rotisserie chicken using weber charcoal baskets on a weber performer. These briquettes are nearly twice the size of normal briquettes. A fair few of them had broken into pieces in the bag but were still usable.

Initial thoughts are
- they light really quickly
- leave a fair amount of ash
- not sure if that much better than normal briquettes as in burn time & heat output
- not in the same league as weber briquettes let alone heat beads.

Going to do some more tests this week & maybe try them at the same time alongside other briquettes to get a more accurate comparison & confirmation that my above thoughts are correct.
Askoir
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Askoir » 22 Apr 2014, 12:30

Scantily wrote:I too would be very interested in how these perform. I mainly use restaurant lump from bookers and have tried heat beads for a few cooks. Didn't notice any distinct advantages apart from the obvious benefits of the consistent briquette shape and none of the crushed up chumbly bits you get at the bottom of lump bags, downside being they're mighty expensive!

I used to use the blue bag lump & still have a couple of bags left but now use Big K restaurant lump which I think is loads better & has less waste than the blue bags.

I'll also try to do a comparison against restaurant lump as well this week.
Askoir
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Deano » 25 Apr 2014, 16:05

Thanks for the update, shame they were not as good as hoped
Deano
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Anything Butt