What are you cooking on

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

What are you cooking on

Postby Headpiggy » 10 Oct 2010, 12:58

Well I have been reading through a few of the posts but I still have not come across what the main style cooker is that you are using. Are you cooking with wood, if so what type of wood do you use or are the majority using charcoal? Is it hard to find good wood over their? Please excuse my ignorance but very curious.
Headpiggy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: What are you cooking on

Postby joker smoker » 10 Oct 2010, 14:16

Hi there, the answer to your question would be anything we can get our hands on.There are some that use WSM's and others that use Excel 20's. Some use Traeger , Fast Eddy or Louisiana Grill pellet cookers and some who like to build their own UDS. There are a few offset cookers around and I know that there will be some gravity fed cabinet cookers on the circuit next year. The main wood types used would be oak, apple and cherry. Welcome to our forum.
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Headpiggy » 10 Oct 2010, 19:21

Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure if their were enough fruit trees over there or not. I would love to come over with my cooker and compete at one of your events. It would be a nice holiday for the family as well. I just need to start trying to find wood. Not sure if they would let me bring wood over or not. I typically use applewood except when I go to the US, as they won't let me bring wood across the border so then I use oak and hickory.
Headpiggy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby joker smoker » 11 Oct 2010, 01:04

there is fine applewood to be found on this site
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby MadCow » 11 Oct 2010, 11:21

Headpiggy wrote: Not sure if they would let me bring wood over or not.

UK customs won't allow you to bring any untreated wood into the UK (or Europe for that matter), so it looks like you'll have to use our wood if you come over I'm afraid !! :D
MadCow

Postby Headpiggy » 12 Oct 2010, 11:25

that is fine it is a lot simplier if you can get the wood their
Headpiggy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Harry » 08 Nov 2010, 23:11

I;ve had NY applewood shipped over via FedEx....
Harry
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 09 Nov 2010, 07:53

I know that seasoned Apple wood is available in abundance at my wood supplier http://www.smoki-chipz.co.uk in Northamptonshire. They also have seasoned American Hickory, English Oak, (Maybe getting some Post Oak (White Oak)), Cherry, Whiskey Barrel Staves and I am informed that they may be able to get some Peach although this would be expensive.

Pecan is apparently often taken up by the furniture manufacturers.

Beerz

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby walterbsc » 16 Nov 2010, 12:11

I peronally use the Weber 22 1/2 " WSM for competitions and back yard smoaking. I use Kingsford charcoal briquets and hickory chuncks. I can find the hickory chucks very easy here in the southern part of the United States.
walterbsc
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby crsmoke070 » 19 Nov 2010, 12:01

I use:
Charbroil Gasser
Weber Q100 (mostly for camping)
Big Green Egg - Medium
Traeger Lil Tex 070 w/180 digital controller

That is my cooking arsenal. Also like to cook over open fire mostly when camping. Soon adding a fire ring with cooking grate in back yard.

Chuck
crsmoke070
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Anything Butt