Redicheck Food Thermometer

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Redicheck Food Thermometer

Postby nickdel » 12 Oct 2010, 08:45

Has anyone used a Readicheck Food and Smoker thermometer? Up till now I've just been relying on the thermometer built into the top of my ProQ Excel but recently bought a Redicheck from Ebay and had the opportunity to use it last weekend. When comparing the smoker temperature measured on the Redicheck if found that the Redicheck was reading about 20 - 30ºF more than the temp guage on the ProQ. I assume that the Redicheck should be the most reliable and that I've been running my ProQ hot up til now.
Has anyone experienced this?

Nick
nickdel
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Redicheck Food Thermometer

Postby Steve » 12 Oct 2010, 09:05

Your Maverick will almost certainly be the most reliable.

Have you calibrated your lid thermometer? Even though I calibrated mine it now shows about 30F lower than the real temperature, I don't ever use it.

Many people on here use Maverick thermos.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nickdel » 12 Oct 2010, 10:17

I did calibrate the ProQ thermometer when I first bought it. I put the end in some boiling water and it registered about 210ºF which is just as well because I couldn't see how to adjust it if it was wrong.
I thought the Maverick would be the most reliable (or hoped as it came from the US!) and I'm pleased to hear that someone else is experiencing the same.
Incidently, dipping the probes into boiling water one registered about 216ºF and the other about 218ºF - they should read 212ºF. Do you know if there is any way they can be calibrated?
nickdel
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby SunofTzu » 12 Oct 2010, 11:32

I have a ProQ Frontier and despite calibrating the lid thermometer it still tends to show less that the Maverick (right after calibration it was closer but seems to have "drifted" over time to a 20-30 degree difference & I can't really be bothered to undo it from the smoker & calibrate every time). To be fair though, they tend to be positioned in different parts of the smoker which could account for the difference but long & short I just use the Maverick. I'm not aware of any way to calibrate the Maverick probes.
SunofTzu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Anything Butt