GMG owners advice please

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: GMG owners advice please

Postby Shaft » 28 Feb 2015, 00:11

Hi Tiny, Sorry for hijack your query.

Following on from tommo point the grill is fantastic but it isn't as set and forget as you would expect and I don't think any grill of this nature is... maybe the high end ones?

This is one of the reasons the wifi controller attracts me is being able to remotely control the temp. Many factors effect the temperature ambient temp, wind, thermal cover. I use a maverick remote temp gauge to monitor the temp and grill level temp can be alot different then the display temp. I don't see this as a defect but just something you have to learn and work with and even temp across the grill can vary alot like all grills. I think my point is you still need to learn your grill don't expect to put 5 butts on set the temp and expect them all to be ready at the same time there is work tk do. If I set a butt going in the early hours I expect to put the up above the registered temp to get it to register at the required temp on the maverick and then keep adjusting as the ambient temp and weather conditions change. This is what attract me to the wifi as I can do this remotely.

I 've had mine for 8 months and use it every weekend and love it did all my Christmas meat on it ham, pastrami, turkey, pulled pork, ribs. It's a brillant piece of kits but it not a magoc bullet it needs care and attention.

What are the other GMG owners experience compared to mine?
Shaft
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Tiny » 28 Feb 2015, 08:14

Gents,
Thanks for the feedback, I realise like with all grills there will be a learning curve. In my particular circumstance I am attracted to the ability to adjust and monitor the temps myself, currently as Tommo suggests I have to summon a minion (2 sones 14 and 11) to check temps and the like

I do everything at the moment by "feel" either literally with Kevlar gloves on or just by the way the grill and the like is behaving.

So in terms of pellets it sounds like you will use around 8-10lbs of pellets on a pork but cook, so about £8 worth of pellets, so about the same cost wise as running good charcoal but more expensive than gas?

I am thinking of getting an external plug installed to save trying to run an extension out, have you chaps done this?

Thanks for all the input.....just waiting for the march pay packet now!
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby tommo666 » 28 Feb 2015, 09:11

Tiny wrote:I am thinking of getting an external plug installed to save trying to run an extension out, have you chaps done this?

I bought a IP66 weather proof double socket with RCD protection and have wired that in. I also use a ASH vacuum from the same socket.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby JBBQ » 02 Mar 2015, 10:22

I have no problem with set and forget! The wifi upgrade now allows you to have a cooking profile, so when the meat hits a specific temperature you can either put it in "keep warm" mode or turn off. Also my display is in C

As for power I used to run an extension out of the window but I bit the bullet and got a socket (or two!) put in - pretty cheap job to spur off a convenient socket on an external wall
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby rdt123 » 24 Feb 2016, 15:23

My Daniel Boone Arrived today and first inspection is that it has a USA plug? Is it variable voltage that just needs an adapter for the socket ? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rdt123
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 24 Feb 2016, 16:54

Hi,
Definitely not on mine it was a UK standard plug, I would give them a call doesn't sound right to me....sorry
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JBBQ » 24 Feb 2016, 17:17

Mine was UK plug - well worth looking into the gubbins from underneath - it should state 230v or 240v somewhere on a sticker
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 02 Dec 2016, 19:46

Should be a UK plug, but mine got cocked up and I ended up with a 2 pin EU plug. Ring them back and get it sorted.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Anything Butt