GMG owners advice please

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

GMG owners advice please

Postby Tiny » 20 Feb 2015, 10:20

Hello chums,
I have been shrewing the GMG range for a while. As I have shared in various posts being blind and barbecuing presents a unique set of challenges but I think an WiFi driven G?MG could be the answer.

Reason is their WiFi App is accesseable with voice over on the iPhone so I would have the ability to program the beast from the phone, monitor the meat temp through the phone and not risk the deflagration incidents I do with Charcoal, and avoid the slight sense of shame when using gas.....

But I have a few questions.......
The ppellets seem to only be ordereable in 40lb plus lots, this has set me thinking will I need to buy another shed to store them or worse still will I be using a bag per cook and thus going bankrupt?
Looking at the Daniel boon, well getting someone else to look , it seems short of shelf space, there is an option for an front shelf, any owners have a view on this?
Back to the pellets anyone any favourites?
Also are there any other reputeable vendors other than the American bbq co?

Finally, Power. Do you run off an extension lead or have you had an external plug socket fitted?

Appreciate the feedback, with the outlay at probably north of £1000 want to make sure this is the forever BBQ
Cheers
Tiny
PS Stainless steel lid, really worth the extra £156?
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: GMG owners advice please

Postby JBBQ » 20 Feb 2015, 16:07

You are more than welcome to pop in to Alton (about 30 miles) and have a "Look" to get an idea on the size of the pellet bags and hopefully next week I'll have the wifi installed and you can check it out?

A hopper full is about a fifth or quarter of a bag. I can cook for 12 hours without topping up. Having said that it is worth getting the thermal cover, that also means you will have a safe (not hot!) surface to feel for!

Shelves are small but you can use the hopper top too

Avoid the Texas blend pellets - they burn way too fast! My go to is definitely their Golden blend but the fruit wood blend is good for poultry in particular.
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Shaft » 27 Feb 2015, 07:08

Hi JBBQ, have you retrofitted the wifi? If so where did you get it from? Have you done any wifi cooks yet?
Shaft
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby JBBQ » 27 Feb 2015, 09:23

I have retrofitted - AmericanBBQ.co.uk have them, they have not priced them up for the website yet so I was a guinea pig. Install is very easy!
Not done a full wifi cook yet - hopefully on Sunday though
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 27 Feb 2015, 11:19

JBBQ wrote:I have retrofitted - AmericanBBQ.co.uk have them, they have not priced them up for the website yet so I was a guinea pig. Install is very easy!
Not done a full wifi cook yet - hopefully on Sunday though

You will notice when you upgrade the controller the the latest firmware that your display will change from centigrade to Fahrenheit. The developers haven't got round to sorting that out yet.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Shaft » 27 Feb 2015, 14:32

I sent an email to AmericanBBQ to see if they were selling the kit but didn't get a reply so assumed they weren't selling yet. Was going to see if I could get one shipped from US. I'll give them another poke.

Tommo: Think I'd prefer it in Fahrenheit as most recipes I use are American and I have my Maverick set to Fahrenheit.

I'd be interested to know how your first wifi cook goes. Keep us posted
Shaft
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby JBBQ » 27 Feb 2015, 17:08

I was going to see about the Australia/New Zealand route but gave AmericanBBQ a call first - always find it better on the phone with those guys and girls. You might have problems with a direct US import because of Voltage?!

If my friend wasn't doing PP, moinks and brisket tomorrow I would have been trying sooner!
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 27 Feb 2015, 18:54

Shaft wrote:Tommo: Think I'd prefer it in Fahrenheit as most recipes I use are American and I have my Maverick set to Fahrenheit.

I have got used to it in F. A bit strange as first because the faceplate has the C next to the display so it could show 500C :) . The app can display in either.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Tiny » 27 Feb 2015, 19:38

Gents,
Thanks for the feedback, JBBQ apologies for the delay in response, would like to take you up on the offer will PM some time next week, work has been manic.

To you other chaps could I trouble you to share wisdom on my original questions,
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby tommo666 » 27 Feb 2015, 23:19

Tiny,

I have a Daniel Boone with a wifi controller and it's good. If you can get it voice activated then that should go a long way but you will still need to command your minions for the physical bits.

There is a stainless steel front shelf which is a bolt on accessory. i have one of these but i put it inside the grill to give me a 2nd food shelf.

At smoking temps the grill uses about 1lb pellet per hour. Could be more, could be less. Those damn outside factors come into play.

Pellets, GMG pellets come in 28lb bags and americanbbq ship 2 bags with free delivery in the price. The other pellets, cookshack or lumberjack come in 20lb bags and they ship 3 bags per order. You can mix and match. It's done like this so they can offer the free delivery. Another company called liverpoolwoodpellets sell a food grade pellet called 'lil' devil and the minimum order is for 3 bags of 9kg for £29.

Pellet grills are versatile and gmg grills can go over 500f or 220c, so burgers, steaks and pizza are on the menu. you can get a 3rd party item called grill grates which add to steaks and stuff.

You would still have to learn your grill, where the hotspots are, as this is burning wood so temps can vary but once you've tamed it there's no limit to what you can cook.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Next

Return to Anything Butt