hyperlink

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: hyperlink

Postby Steve » 25 Oct 2010, 19:38

It can be sorted but only when I get time to do it. There's no option in the control panel to do it. The php has to be modified. Unfortunately, phpbb3 exhibits this behaviour by default where as the older phpbb2 that we used to use did the opposite.

I will mod the php next time I'm in front of a computer and have time. I'm posting from my phone at the moment so can't make the mod easily.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chris__M » 25 Oct 2010, 19:43

Heh. Elsewhere, I have experienced long and agonising debates about this.

The received wisdom is that spawning new windows or tabs automatically is impolite - if the user wishes to do so, they can, by simply right-clicking on the hyperlink. The correct action is to open the link in the current tab/window.

I know a little about this because I have experienced the same behaviour in my own boardgame forum, which uses the same phpBB system that this site uses. Version 2 of phpBB opened links in new tabs, as you (and I) prefer. phpBB3 (which this site uses) deliberately changed this behavour, without any config option; although, as Steve suggests, there are mods out there that will allow a return to the previous behaviour.

I have to say that I tend towards your point of view, and like to keep people on my site, but it is a fairly contentious point in web-mastering circles, and I have seen otherwise sensible people get quite bent out of shape over this issue.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 26 Oct 2010, 06:49

Chris you're right about the contentious issue lol

I believe phpbb changed to validate to strict XHTML. When I did an e-commerce module many years ago at university we were told it is bad to spawn new windows (no tabbed browsers at that time) but what the hell, do it anyway to keep people on the site :D

I always just right click and open in new tab but a few people have now requested links that automatically open in new windows so i'll do it when I get around to it.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Anything Butt