Very low and slow....ideas?

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Very low and slow....ideas?

Postby Tiny » 17 Apr 2015, 08:20

Sage counsellors of the BBQ,
I have excitedly posted on the splendidness of my new GMG Daniel boon and have done lots of different stuff on it thus far. One of its features is it can hold a very low temp (60 deg C) so it set me thinking what could I do at this temp.

I have heard talk of jerky but my experience is that turns a delicious piece of meat into leather, so I am musing on smoking jalepenos, "sun drying" tomatoes? well in short I am a bit clueless, any of you chaps done anything similar out there?

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Very low and slow....ideas?

Postby Kiska95 » 05 May 2015, 22:38

hi

Just an alternative to how you make jerky so that it is more palatable and softer, I have made this using my home oven but it would lend itself to your low temp. Essentially you are drying out with normal Jerky but with this you a slightly cooking too. OK what you need is a kilo of good lean mince. My butcher does shin beef for me. Your jerky seasoning and most important of all a little bit of cure (prague no.1/ instacure/ pink salt). Mix altogether and leave overnight. Next thing you need is a rather large syringe. I used a pointing gun cost £16.00 at tool station. Put your mince in the long body of the gun and attach either the oblong end or round end and squeeze onto baking parchment (like using a silicone gun), stick it in your BBQ but leave the lid open slightly (use a ball of squashed foil) to let moisture out and in 20-30 mins you have a rather good snack that's not going to have your jaws aching.
Other than that try the oven with halved tomatoes and you have the equivalent of sun-dried tomatoes as you already suggest its using the same BBQ oven technique. But you can dry anything on the fruity side or even fish or meat for dog snacks.

Hope that helps a little
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Anything Butt