How Aaron Franklin trims brisket

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: How Aaron Franklin trims brisket

Postby aris » 30 Apr 2015, 07:05

Toby wrote:More disappointed with Costco!

In the 90's during the BSE crisis, Costco were importing USDA beef (i've been a member there for 20 years or so). Can't be sure if they were importing briskets - but certainly they had other cuts.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 01 May 2015, 06:52

aris wrote:

In the 90's during the BSE crisis, Costco were importing USDA beef (i've been a member there for 20 years or so). Can't be sure if they were importing briskets - but certainly they had other cuts.

Why did they stop? Demand drop off when BSE went away?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 01 May 2015, 12:02

essexsmoker wrote:
aris wrote:

Why did they stop? Demand drop off when BSE went away?

I don't know - cost perhaps. We used to buy it all the time, and it was certainly popular. I suspect that the logistics must have been a bit more difficult than buying locally. They now sell Scottish beef.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 05 May 2015, 22:59

Hi

USDA Prime is usually for high end dining with high fat marbling, USDA Choice is for some restaurants and supermarket retail with less fat and marbling than Prime. Then there is USDA Select which is lean and cheaper. Of course the US also have "Certified Angus beef" which is a cut above Prime. Our UK briskets are very much leaner so you may have to provide your own additional fat cap and some injecting tgo keep moist. Makro have some very good Australian Silverside in a £5.89 a kilo, cheap enough to experiment with before spending £10 a kilo or more on the USDA beef listed on the links. But what do our competition boys use in the UK?
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Previous

Return to Anything Butt