Today is the day......

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Today is the day......

Postby Tiny » 03 May 2015, 07:49

Morning bretheren,
Well today is the day, the tiny BBQ collection is rationalised, now I know some of you will be breaking out in a cold sweat as you read this but the time has come.

Like many of us I have spent a considerable sum chasing the perfect BBQ, a quest marginally harder than the search for the holy grail, but for me I have found it. So yesterday with the help of my lads we wheeled away 2 large outback gas, the hideously useless landmann Tennessee smoker, the rather good CADAC carry chef deluxe and an laptop charcoal grill I think I used once. Some have gone to the garden in the sky, some were nominally saleable and this morning the garden seems somehow bigger.

All that remain are an ivory Weber kettle and my new GMG, I consider the latter to be the finest piece of kit I have ever owned and is powered by magic and dragons and just cooks everything brilliantly.

So I offer this up as a cathartic post to those of you who draw disapproving fglances from your significant others over garden clutter, I offer it up to those who start thier posts with "I saw this smoker on eBay/amazon/the range" - it will be tat I guarantee, you will cook a couple of times on it muttering "well its not too bad, for the money" before it is moved toward your own BBQ graveyard, you will promise yourself you will mod it a bit, fix the leaks, perhaps put another vent in.....but we both know you are lying, you bought a lemon and you can do nothing more with it.

I offer this post to the "can I get a cheap offset in the uk?" no, no you cant so don't try.

I offer this up for those who seek advice "the WSM seems very expensive is it worth it" Yes, yes it is buy the best, and buy once.

For any of you on this journey to BBQ nirvana I offer you this sage counsel, treat yourself you only live once so if its an WSM, an big green egg or an marvellous GMG, go for it go big and bring home, and the parade of the tip bound bbqs will not be your future,.........

Much bbq love,
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Today is the day......

Postby derekmiller » 03 May 2015, 09:53

Oh so true Tiny.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Toby » 03 May 2015, 11:30

Having had traegers, fast eddies and Louisiana grills I have to say pellets aren't for everyone. I appreciate your feedback though!
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tiny » 03 May 2015, 12:45

Toby old chap,
I am not advocating that all should go for an pellet grill, rather that whatever your chosen beast buy a good one once.

I think I am so in love with my GMG because I can control it wirelessly from my iPhone.I realise as an blind barbecue I am in an minority, but the ability to track both the grill and food temp on the phone without redress to sighted help is one of the main big plus points for me.

It doesn't have the heart racing danger of using charcoal hence I have kept the Weber for when I want that adrenaline rush......

Cheers Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 03 May 2015, 19:43

The VoiceOver feature on the iPhone and Siri must be a real boon you you Tiny.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 05 May 2015, 07:34

Sage advice from 'an' hillhairyarse fellow bbq nut
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Anything Butt