Fuel for Big Green Egg

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Fuel for Big Green Egg

Postby Dduffs71 » 11 May 2015, 19:55

Hi all - apologies if this has been covered.....but I'm picking up a large BGE this weekend and have read that lump is obviously the wY forward, but wondered if heat beads can also be used? I've been using a mix of heat beads and Big K lump in my Weber Kettle with good resu.ts and wondered if the same could be done in the BGE or is the consensus to stick with good Lump only?
Dduffs71
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Fuel for Big Green Egg

Postby QueFrescoPaul » 12 Aug 2015, 11:20

Hi,
My advise would be stick with lumpwood and get restaurant grade. Your kamado works best with a flow of air from bottom to top and lumpwood allows that air flow.
Certainly keep well clear of bog standard briquettes because the ash created just clogs everything up. The other thing is that briquettes (even before lighting) have a tendency to pack together and this constricts air flow.
To be fair I've never used heat beads in any of my kamados but I think the manufacturers state lumpwood for good reason.

Cheers
Paul
QueFrescoPaul
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Fuel for Big Green Egg

Postby JEC » 12 Aug 2015, 13:26

It's not recommended to use any briquettes in an Egg, too much ash is produced and it can limit airflow. Stick to lump, ideally restaurant if you can. Personally I use BigK, RCH12 or ACH15, it can be ordered from their website. BGE lump is ok but expensive and sometimes dusty.
JEC

Return to Anything Butt