Which commercial smoker?

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Which commercial smoker?

Postby J0hn78 » 18 May 2015, 15:48

I'm looking for a few opinions on the various commercial smokers which are available in the UK.

I may have missed a few brands, but the items I have found more information about are the pellet smokers and propane smokers. Of these, I'm interested in people's experiences of the Cookshack/Fast Eddy's and the Ole Hickory Pits.

I currently have a classic van, the rustic looking French sort which you see at a lot of festivals, which I'm wanting to adapt for street food and festival trading. I currently cook a lot of whole hog pulled pork, from free-range British Saddlebacks and I'll soon be getting the American Hampshire breed delivered to the farm.

My whole hogs are cooked with propane as the main fuel source (smoke is added with a Pro Q cold smoker) so I'm not totally against a propane fired smoker, plus the van has existing LPG points which can be utilised.

My aim is to add more smoked products to the menu alongside the whole hog pulled pork, such as beef, sausages, ribs, chicken, possibly turkey.

Ideally, I'd like a smoker which is as close to the following criteria:

- Quick to heat up.
- Can be left to look after itself.
- Features cook and hold.
- Gets back to temperature quickly after the door is opened/closed.
- Can take 100kg+ of produce.
- Isn't too heavy.
- Is on wheels/casters.
- Doesn't have a huge foot print.
- Can be powered off a single phase generator.

The smoker does not have to live in the van, although I'd be happy for it to be in there if it makes hot holding easier. Some of the jobs we do, such as five day Test Matches, see us cooking 23 pigs per week, so I expect the smoker would be in pretty much constant demand. It could sit in a gazebo if necessary (but not too heavy to put back in after an event). Ideally, I'd like it to smoke brisket over night, the beef emptied in to suitable hot holding and the smoker reloaded with ribs etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which smoker they would look at? Any recommendations on smokers you use?
J0hn78
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Which commercial smoker?

Postby wade » 19 May 2015, 09:25

Talk to Darren at the American BBQ Company. I have just ordered my FEC120 from there. He can take you through the pros and cons of the different models available.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 19 May 2015, 14:07

Hi there

Might want to PM Smokinbbq on this forum he has a FEC 120 and does this commercially. He would be able to tell you about capacities as you may need to think about the FEC 240 (double the size)
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby wade » 19 May 2015, 14:25

Yes. I looked at the FEC-240 too but it would be quite unwieldy to use as a mobile event smoker.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby J0hn78 » 19 May 2015, 14:31

I've spoken to Darren at American BBQ, I intend to visit soon, however, my foot is in a cast at the moment, so I can't drive down to the showroom.

I've looked at the FEC120s that are installed at Ribs 'n' Bibs in Lincoln, I was expecting something bigger for some reason. They are using two 120s, but I found it hard to judge the output as I went on a Friday evening and they only had about 5 racks of ribs in the pair of them. The FEC240 would be too big to fit in the catering van, so I'd have to use a lot of faux cambros for hot holding. With something as big as the 240, it would have to go by Luton van to events, which is extra cost in hiring an extra van.
J0hn78
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby wade » 19 May 2015, 14:46

I was in Lincoln in February and got to see the kitchens in Ribs'n'Bibs too. The kitchen staff were great but the person running downstairs was particularly unfriendly. I am not sure I would bother going again based upon that experience.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 19 May 2015, 14:57

Hmmm Yes I understand about the 240

Did They give you a price on the 120?
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby wade » 19 May 2015, 15:17

Replied in PM
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby J0hn78 » 19 May 2015, 18:05

Kiska95 wrote:Hmmm Yes I understand about the 240

Did They give you a price on the 120?

£5000 + VAT.
J0hn78
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby SmokinBBQ » 21 May 2015, 09:58

Hi John

The FEC120 quite quick to get to temp, about 15mins. for 222f to 250f. Mine's been left to cook over night for the last 2 years without any problems (just make sure the hopper's topped up if your having a few drinks!).

Once the doors been opened, it's back up to temp in a crack.

I've only had experience using the FEC120, but I think your going to need something a lot bigger or 2 of them judging by the amounts you need.....and it's heavy, you'll need a couple of strapping blokes and a ramp, more without a ramp.
I can squeeze 15 4kg boned pork shoulders into mine, 3 per shelf, but usually just go for 2 per shelf for more smoke.

I converted an outhouse into a smoke house, where the FEC120 is permanently situated. Transfer the cooked meat to igloo boxes. they keep hot for quite a few hours if needed. Then once at an event transfer to the offset smoker to hold. The same with pre cooked chilled meat, igloo then into the offset to bring back upto 75c

Here's a link to the FEC120 specifications page, http://www.americanbbq.co.uk/About-Fast ... tions.html.

Like Wade said though, your probably best of talking to Nick or Darren at american BBQ to find out which model is best suited to your needs.
SmokinBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Anything Butt