The Great Galvanised Debate

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

The Great Galvanised Debate

Postby beermetal2003 » 24 May 2015, 08:13

Just found this on ebay and it made me wonder why I was bothered about using anything galvanised when I built my UDS.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHARCOAL-BBQ- ... 2350911e36
beermetal2003
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: The Great Galvanised Debate

Postby wade » 24 May 2015, 08:44

Whether to use zinc components in a smoker is quite a contentious topic and for many I think that this smoker would be the ultimate horror story. In reality though it may come down to what the cooking surfaces are made of as the only advisories that I have managed to find over the years have only related to the potential issues of using zinc in places where there is direct food contact.

My personal opinion is that the dangers of using modern galvanised components in a smoker has become a bit of an urban legend that gained "fact" status by often being re-quoted in forums. To date I have not managed to find anyone who could point me in the direction of any credible documented studies or official health advisories where any risks of using zinc components in the hot, non-contact areas of food preparation have been detected. If anyone here knows of any I would be interested to to read them. They may very well be out there - in which case in good old Mythbusters fashion the myth would be "confirmed" - It is just that so far I have not seen any conclusive evidence.

I am not advocating the use of zinc in smoker builds, I would not buy this one, and I avoid using galvanised components myself - however I cannot help but feel that there is a tad too much paranoia in many forums about using galvanised components in smokers.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 24 May 2015, 10:59

Does this "quote" by the USDA help?

The American Department of Agriculture (USDA) advises consumers to smoke meat and poultry in smokers made of approved materials. Galvanised steel cans and other makeshift smokers should not be used. Chemical residue created by prolonged heating of the galvanised container is deposited on meat surfaces, which can contain toxic zinc salts.

When galvanised steel reaches a high temperature after heating, it gives off smelly, toxic fumes of zinc oxide. Therefore, a galvanised steel grill, stove or barbecue should only be used outdoors. There is a risk of a developing “metal fume fever” from breathing these fumes. Symptoms include loss of appetite, muscle stiffness and pain, fever, diarrhoea and headache. These symptoms are vague and often mistaken for an onset of flu. Since illness usually develops several hours after exposure, it is difficult to make the connection between it and the stove or barbecue. The symptoms usually resolve within 48 hours. Toxic fumes may deposit chemical contaminants on the surfaces of barbecued food. Because there's a reaction between blood and galvanised steel, raw meat should not be placed directly on its surface.
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby wade » 24 May 2015, 11:56

If you can point me to the USDA advisory notice that says this that then this will be great. So far nobody on the US Smoking Meat Forum has been able to find anything to either support or disprove the "galvanised" debate other than referring to forum posts that refer to yet other forum posts. I have seen advisories that say that food should not be cooked directly on galvanised surfaces however nothing that advises against using zinc in the non food contact areas of the smoker. If you have this that that should make interesting reading and help support the argument.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 24 May 2015, 12:31

I have read loads of pros and cons and wouldn't touch any Galvany products or use with my food. But for cold smoking or low temps it seems to be OK and been given the thumbs up. Its only once you reach the critical temp of the metal that problems ensue, so for supper hot grilling I think its a no no. But someone without experience may fall foul so I wouldn't buy or sell them.

On topic does this help???? I

FDA Food Code 2009 Chapter 4

4-101.15 Galvanized Metal, Use Limitation.
Galvanized metal may not be used for utensils or food-contact surfaces of equipment that are used in contact with acidic food.

or this.....
American National Standard/NSF International Standard for Food Equipment section 7.4.2

http://standards.nsf.org/apps/group_pub ... .php/3941/
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby wade » 24 May 2015, 14:49

Thanks for the links Brian

The first one (FDA food code) is the one I am already aware of, however it only relates to surfaces that are in direct contact with acidic food.

I cannot seem to find the text of the second one (NSF International Standard for Food Equipment) as your link is not a valid one - however I have found the document summery through Google. Section 7 though appears to refer only to Commercial Refrigerators and Freezers. Do you have a different link to the document that is current?

Cheers

Wade
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby wade » 24 May 2015, 14:51

Just so you are aware of my position - I too avoid using any galvanised parts in my smoker however I have yet to be shown credible evidence that it is actually potentially harmful for areas that are not in food contact.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 24 May 2015, 16:01

Hi Wade,

Yep its for Utensil and surfaces but states...........

7.4.2 Zinc coated materials

Galvanized materials and other zinc coated
materials shall not be used on surfaces intended
for direct food contact.

Just paste the following into your browser

American National Standard/NSF International Standard for Food Equipment
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby wade » 24 May 2015, 21:00

Kiska95 wrote:Hi Wade,

Yep its for Utensil and surfaces but states...........

7.4.2 Zinc coated materials

Galvanized materials and other zinc coated
materials shall not be used on surfaces intended
for direct food contact.

Yes I read that, however other than the cooking rack in the smoker no other parts have direct food contact. As this refers only to things that have direct food contact, it means that only the cooking rack should not be galvanised. It does not apply to other non-food contact parts of the smoker. It also states that this only applies to acidic foods. Ok maybe the marinade you have used contains vinegar or lemon juice and could be acidic so this effectively rules out the cooking rack and any utensils that you use to handle the food.

Kiska95 wrote:Just paste the following into your browser
American National Standard/NSF International Standard for Food Equipment

I did and it takes you to the NSF Commercial Food Equipment Standards site. Unfortunately here you cannot read the detail of the document - just the summary. Reading the summary of section 7 (as in 7.4.2) it refers to:

NSF/ANSI 7: Commercial Refrigerators and Freezers

NSF/ANSI 7 establishes minimum food protection and sanitation requirements for the materials, design, manufacture, construction and performance of commercial refrigerators and freezers and their related components. This includes storage refrigerators and freezers (reach-in, under counter, walk-in, roll-in); rapid pull-down refrigerators and freezers; refrigerated food transport cabinets, buffet units and food preparation units; display refrigerators; beverage coolers; and ice cream cabinets.

It sounds as if you actually have access to the document detail itself. Could you please let me have a copy of it - or post me a link to it

Thanks

Wade
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 25 May 2015, 09:22

Hi Wade,

Just paste this into your browser and it comes up as a PDF http://standards.nsf.org/apps/group_pub ... .php/3941/

I think we can concur that you don't want Galvanized metal on any food surfaces whether the food or the baste is acidic or not, its just not worth the chance. I think we can also concur that at the temperatures for cold smoking and low and slow BBQing the boiling point of the zinc wont be reached and so is not technically going to be a hazard but for myself I still stay clear. However the BBQ shown and mentioned is Galvanised inside and out as is the nature of the process "Dipping". But by its nature Charcoal and wood ash is Alkaline so no problem you would think. My worry is that the temperatures reached on Hot Grilling "may" cause sickness. So if you value your health and that of your friends is it worth taking the chance of being wrong?. So for me Food, Heat and Galvany products don't mix.... NOOOOOO!!!!!"

By the way the guy on EBay must be from a different planet, its the worst DIY job I have seen and he wants £230 quid????
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Next

Return to Anything Butt