Easy Access Goodies

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Easy Access Goodies

Postby Tiny » 25 May 2015, 18:34

Afternoon chums and chumesses,
Although I believe chum may well be an gender inclusive term.

The day has been devoid of BBQ goodness today as I am feeling the effects of a splendid game of cricket in Gloucestershire yesterday which has left me substantially less bendy than is ideal. So have sat musing instead

So I mused on easy access BBQ goodies, now I know the forum is awash with "I ordered the banana rach chipotle ancho bbq sauce from oohQforyou.com and it was a bargain at just under £9 with £5 P&P" but for most of us our BBQ cost base has to fly under the radar of our significant others so this sort of purchase has to be sneaked in along with "oh yes cover for the BBQ, important to protect the investment......<gulp>....err expensive? well a bit more than ideal but top quality you see...." I am sure this is an familiar picture.

So I put it to you what are the BBQ goodies that a man, or woman, could pick up on their average high street or out of town shopping centre? I think for me the bestest thing you can buy from an supermarket is Franks hot sauce, which is chemically addictive, but I urge other members not to snort it in line form it shall do you good and proper wrong.

So with an alledged bbq revolution going on in the uk does anyone know if Aldi now stock yardbirds born to be wild dinosaur rock cliché pork rub? or is lidls deep south hellfire in yo mouth bbq sauce the very thing to moisten your equipment with? Surely they must be out there?

In terms of meat I think the Tesco value pork shoulders are tippy top value for everyday pulled pork, one of the things I am particularly interested in is can you get a quality hot dog sausage? I wanted to pursue an interest in german sausages, but I fear the wurst.....boom boom, aha I thank you, but seriously the hot dog, most evocative, growing up I watched non league football and when I got home Saturday tea was a tin of Ye Olde Oak hot dogs, prepared in the traditional method, drain fill can with boiling water from the kettle, refill and then fish out muttering the ancient incantation, "ooh ah ya bastad" as you fished them by hand from the near boiling water. They were then lovingly wrapped in Chemical white bread, 2 per slice with a line of ketchup and "that funny posh yellow mustard in a bottle".........As I grew from fat lad to fat man I knew that the tinned Hot dog was not so much a thing of beauty, if it were an girlfriend you wouldn't take her home to meet your Mum, you would tell your mates there was nothing really in it but deep down there was something a bit wrong but special.....so if I continue my girlfriend metaphor does anyone know of an supermarket sourced hot dog that you would be prepared to take home to meet your parents?

Apologies for the broad length and occaisional smutty innuendo in the post but in terms of where you get your BBQ goodies I am buy curious, ooh matron.....

Cheers
Tiny
Now genuinely off for first beer of the evening :)
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Easy Access Goodies

Postby Kiska95 » 25 May 2015, 20:42

To my bbq marras and tiny
After having quoffed a half a dozen nescafe's irish coffees with a splosh of jameson's prior to my imposed diabetic blood test fast for tomorrow; with mussy head i mused over Tiny Tolkien's tome.
Having worked all day i was presently surprised by my better half having knocked up her own version of bbq. quell surprise! Piping hot microwaved bacon grill with heinz bbq sauce, quality! No need to spend £1000's on that bbq malarkey or your mates on bbbqs, this is what culinary dreams are made of she assured me! The dog now full of bacon grill departed for bed with a tell tale look and bisto fart whiff following. I thought my life complete then i considered tinys plight, what bbq goodies are out there? Then i knew ..... a wire brush from poundland but alas not knowing the price i duffed it!!! Thought that counts though
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Kiska95 » 26 May 2015, 06:35

Whist thinking about Tinys hot dog canundrum i thought about how would our chum get 8" of meat to be proud to take home to his mum???? Hmmm i considered his location... portsmouth naval harbour? Would there be many places he could pick up a good looking slim hottie? Some have said its cheap back alley stuff. then i thought of Brighton surely a fit bloke could pick up a dog there. its trendy hip and plenty of places to get to grips with and get your gob around some tasty dogs. Yes you can get plenty of it there but im told the place to go to get an 8" long pole is The big apple hot dog resturant in london and yes thats what is called on the menu.
So Tiny if you want an 8" long pole dog with tight skin the right bite and snap the big apple is the place to go :D
hope that helps?
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby derekmiller » 26 May 2015, 09:30

Morning Tiny. Nice muse as usual.
I have become a devout fan of the Footlongs from Costco. They were recommended on here by someone, cant remember who.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby derekmiller » 26 May 2015, 09:54

This might be a good read Tiny.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1171&p=9201#p9201
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tommo666 » 26 May 2015, 18:12

ASDA are dabbling in various rubs and marinades of the BBQ variety from Schwartz. Now a good length of sausage to bung on the grill is the good old German Bratwurst. These can be had off the shelf in Aldi and they are German and Bratwurst.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby noxskuses » 27 May 2015, 08:18

Best supermarket hot dogs for me Tiny are Lidls Bratwurst (£1.69 for 10 I think). Good & meaty, but no real snap. I make my own Franks now & they snap like a firecracker! I also make my own rubs & sauces so I'm actually not much use to you :D
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Anything Butt