Subway - Pulled pork

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: Subway - Pulled pork

Postby Tiny » 29 May 2015, 10:48

Naturally of course!

However the pulled pork thing came back to haunt me. Got 3 little pork shoulder joints for a tenner, each weighed 700g. Put them on the GMG at 120C yesterday and reckoned on 3-4 hours......they got 5 and a half and the bastads still wouldn't pull, so I ended up with very tasty pork, great flavour and smoke ring but no pp for me :(

A technical question, how easily does your PP pull? Reason I ask is because I cant see my wife is usually the puller and she is somewhat a feeble Susan so I wonder is my inability to produce pulling pork down to a lack of robustness in my wifes technique? Or am I clutching at underdone pork straws?

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 29 May 2015, 11:19

Half of the time I go to lift it out of the BBQ and a chunk falls off, it's that easy to pull ;) If you're not hitting an internal temp of around 92C then keep on cookin'
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby noxskuses » 29 May 2015, 11:26

I think the cut of meat is the problem Tiny (Not enough internal fat), as I have the exact same problem with smaller shoulder joints. Internal can hit 92 + an hours rest, but they still won't pull properly. I stick to whole bone-in pork butts or pork belly for guaranteed pullapartyness :D
noxskuses
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 31 May 2015, 13:04

I often cook small shoulder joints from Tesco, and seldom have problems. However, you are using a much higher temp than I usually do. I cook at 220F (105C), until the joint has an internal temp of 192F (88C)

Takes a lot longer to cook, obviously, but it always pulls. My last pair of shoulders were on for 20 hours, and tasted wonderful.

I have a WiFi controller, and GMG's App profile for Pulled Pork starts with a sear of 30 minutes on both sides of the joint at 380F then taking it down to 215F for the rest of the cook. Which just goes to show there's always multiple ways to do the job.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby J0hn78 » 01 Jun 2015, 13:15

There's a pulled meat producer who has been sending out free boxes of samples to caterers. I won't name names, but I tried the pulled chicken - my dog didn't even want it, the pulled pork in lonestar sauce, the plain pulled pork and the pulled duck. I found all of them to be almost flavourless in terms of meat and just extra sweet sauce. I've not tried the Subway version, nor the Wetherspoons, as I expect they are probably from the same supplier.
J0hn78
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 01 Jun 2015, 16:40

An addendum to the story.....

Was at Twickenham for the Rugby Saturday, and there were as many pulled pork vendors as there were burger vendors near the ground. I did not partake of it as the queues were massive and I could detect neither smoke or pork aroma even when close.

But I do wish to acknowledge the site approved burger vendors, divine burgers. It is an cup final so I expect to get ripped off and served nose and asshole hosings.....Cheeseburger was £6.50 but came with a crispy fresh salad garnish or slow cooked onions and the patty was Moorish chunky in texture and mouthfeel and you could taste the beef and good seasoning, nice chemical cheese on top. Best offering I have ever had at a major sporting venue.

Poor pulled pork taking over the world, one soggy bap at a time........
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Jun 2015, 18:16

Tiny wrote:An addendum to the story.....

...so I expect to get ripped off and served nose and asshole hosings.....

Poor pulled pork taking over the world, one soggy bap at a time........
Cheers
Tiny

Lmao. F**k me that was funny. :D

I had pulled pork at a local world war show and was expecting barbeque. However it was just plain meet with sage and onion stufing and apple sauce. £4.50 for a very packed bap. Did taste nice but no smokey flavour to it. It was supposedly done on an offset made by barbeque mates but had no smokey taste at all. Still, it had pulled weĺl and tasted good. Just not quite what I was expecting.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Anything Butt