Up to date info on smoker controllers?

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Up to date info on smoker controllers?

Postby robgunby » 31 May 2015, 10:30

A couple of years ago I investigated the possibility of buying a controller for my UDS, and having done my research decided it was prohibitively expensive and forgot all about it.

Having just sold some camera gear I have a little money to play with and I'm wondering what this often-changing market now has to offer. Toby offered some advice at last years Grillstock - that the probes are often what will let the unit down. If anyone can point ,e in the direction of a reliable probe that would be a good start.

Does anyone have any other pointers please? Or experience of buying your own controller?

TIA.
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Up to date info on smoker controllers?

Postby Kiska95 » 31 May 2015, 14:05

HI

It seems that probes are pretty similar the job is not to squash them under the lid

There isn't a lot of choice in the UK but take look at the BBQ Guru Digiq DX2 from BattleBox UK. Kids bought me one for my birthday 8-)
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby tommo666 » 31 May 2015, 15:45

Another option to look at is the heatermeter http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?35674-H ... Standalone, it's a diy project and it works great. I built one or two and use it for the monitoring function as i don't need the fan control. I use a thermocouple as the pit probe and thermoworks probes for the food. Auber sell a ready built one with various options. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=492
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby robgunby » 31 May 2015, 16:07

Kiska95 wrote:HI

It seems that probes are pretty similar the job is not to squash them under the lid

There isn't a lot of choice in the UK but take look at the BBQ Guru Digiq DX2

That was certainly the cause of the demise of my maverick probes, they got caught in the lid withiut me realising. This latest one just started reading crazy temperatures for no reason after about three cooks. Not impressed!

The Auber kits are good value but have to be shipped over, plus vat and customs charges.

Looks like I'll have to stump up nearly £200 to get a complete kit, seems crazy! I wish I had the knack to build one myself, looks like it could be done for less than fifty quid
robgunby
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 31 May 2015, 17:19

up to you but I've bought some very small stainless steel cable glands and pass the probes through. They were on a quid a piece of EBay or use silicone rubber grommets, means drilling your Q but at the cost of probes I know which will last longer.
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby JamsCowbell » 01 Jun 2015, 14:40

Another vote for the heatermeter here, I'm still loving my v4.0 and it keeps the WSP on target for 8 hours or more.

Good fun to build and I did it with no prior soldering experience.
JamsCowbell
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Jun 2015, 18:25

I made my own for a UDS. Got the controller off ebay (search for PID controllers) for about £25 with a 5m type K thermocouple for about £5. All from China of course!
Just got a new blower from RS for £17.

Assembled it myself in an old junction box from a sparky.

I got a 230v unit as had a different fan at the start but would recommend you go 12v for controller and fan then you probably wont need a relay.

https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B0oX ... x4Tk0/edit
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby PDC7 » 02 Jun 2015, 11:56

I'd love to build my own controller, is there a step by step guide? it looks complicated!!!!
PDC7
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 02 Jun 2015, 16:27

PDC7 wrote:I'd love to build my own controller, is there a step by step guide? it looks complicated!!!!

Really it's not hard, something like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WILLHI-Digita ... 43d91f5c61

It comes in either F or C and various voltages. Go for the 12v and get a 12v 2amp supply: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-Power-Su ... 234e6e749e 2amps should be more than enough to power the controller and fan. Next a 12v fan and that's basically it, just a case to put it in, some wire and a few plugs. There is a wiring diagram as part of the instructions and it might look like this:

tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby wade » 03 Jun 2015, 06:55

I a not sure that I would fully go along with the advice you were given regarding the probes. The probes are easily replaced and you can do a lot to a standard probe to make it last longer. I would concentrate more on the controller and fan as most will use similar off-the-shelf probes. The most important thing is the effective control of the temperature - and for this it is the fan and controller that are more important. You can build one yourself using a standard PID and fan blower but to get it working effectively can take a lot of tweaking - not a problem for some but for others it can prove difficult. When you buy one that has already been tried and recommended by others, then if you are new to using them you are more likely to have success with it.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Anything Butt