A Cook Abroad - Argentina

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

A Cook Abroad - Argentina

Postby RogerT » 04 Jun 2015, 08:55

Probably posted already but did anyone watch the BBC's "A Cook Abroad" in Argentina with the chef John Torode?
It's all about beef and the Argentinian way of cooking it.....I think it's worth watching. See what you think!
RogerT
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: A Cook Abroad - Argentina

Postby bravehart » 09 Jun 2015, 15:05

I watched this yesterday after reading your post. That Seven Fires restaurant in Mendoza .....wow! even the roadside Parilla. How do they keep the fire baskets burning when all the burning bits fall out? Anyway I'm moving to Argentina!
bravehart
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby RogerT » 09 Jun 2015, 20:31

Glad you enjoyed it. They certainly know how to cook beef!
I think the constant burning of wood in the fire basket produces the embers that fall out and are moved across to cook the meat.
I've found someone to make me one in the UK so when I can, I'll buy.
When you move to Argentina, let me know. I'll carry the bags!!
RogerT
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 10 Jun 2015, 05:21

I found his comments during a driving section where he had learned a revolutionary technique of "getting the fire ready before putting the meat on" and claimed it changed his way of cooking BBQ. WTF was he doing beforehand?

If you search the forum there were plenty of comments made when it was first shown. a second viewing especially taking a bottle of wine to a winegrower "Coals to Newcastle anyone" ;)
keith157

Postby Kiska95 » 10 Jun 2015, 15:26

I agree with Keith! A world traveled Aussie chef and he produced that comment? I got bored with all of the trivial scripted dialogue but once you saw the Argentinians cooking beef now that was excellent!!!!! Mind you the whole series is like a travelogue with bits of cooking in it, I fast forwarded to the cooking bits and duffed the rest.
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby JamsCowbell » 16 Jun 2015, 11:14

I watched this last night, the beef was more entertaining than the presenter, but it did get me thinking about cooking big slabs of cow! It also made me hungry.
JamsCowbell
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Anything Butt