UUNI Pizza oven

The place to hang out and chat about anything and everything that doesn't fall under our other categories.

Re: UUNI Pizza oven

Postby aris » 07 Jan 2016, 19:31

I got one - works great. Same results as a brick oven, with a few limitations as well as some advantages. Only done one cook, but learned some lessons which will make later ones better.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby dannysmith43 » 15 Jan 2016, 11:58

aris wrote:I got one - works great. Same results as a brick oven, with a few limitations as well as some advantages. Only done one cook, but learned some lessons which will make later ones better.

Nice! Been waiting for someone on these forums to give it a thumbs up....I'm definitely getting one of these bad boys!
How expensive would you say it is to run in terms of pellets?

Thanks
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 15 Jan 2016, 16:33

I have not costed it and only done one cook, but I estimate you need at least 4 or 5 scoops to start it - then about 1 (maybe two) scoop of pellets per pizza. It cooks pizza real fast - like 60-120 seconds depending. You need to give it another 60 seconds between pizzas to heat the floor again - then you're good to go for the next one. So the advantage is you can get going in 10 minutes (unlike a wood oven which can take an hour or more). Unlike a wood oven, there is no residual heat - when the hopper runs out of pellets (this can happen quicker than you think) - it drops in temperature very quickly. This is not a bad thing - it cools down and you can store it away quickly.

The only other advice i'd give is to get coarse corn meal (pollenta) to help slide the pizza off the peel. The pellets from UUNI are food grade oak. They are decently priced too - I should have bought a few more bags.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 25 Jan 2016, 10:06

UUNI looks good from video. How does it compare with the weber unit for the bbq?

Anyone heard about the Roccbox? Bit more money but quite posh looking and UK made AFAIK. Not sure if it has launched yet.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 25 Jan 2016, 10:24

Uuni are a British company, though the unit is made in China.

Never heard of Roccbox - googled it - £375 it a bit more than I would be willing to pay. Interesting idea though.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 25 Jan 2016, 12:52

Very smart looking and insulated, etc. Obviously a bit prettier than the uuni but worth the extra dosh?
To be honest though the weber pizza thing is only 140... is the uuni worth the extra?

What do you gain? A separate unit and being able to use pellets I guess?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 25 Jan 2016, 13:04

Weber is an accessory - so you need to have a kettle already.

Uuni, fast to start and stop, and uses wood pellets - so you get wood flavour. Not insulated, but I have seen pictures of people who do insulate them.

The RoccBox does look good and can use gas - but then no wood flavour. Expensive too.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BintanMan » 18 Mar 2016, 11:35

My Uuni was delivered this week. It's the series 2, which now includes some improvements such as better flame control, but more importantly a stone base. Because I pre-ordered in January I completely forgot to order pellets, but UUni pulled out all the stops and got some out yesterday and should be arriving today for a weekend cook.

If anyone has any tips on where to buy cheaper premium pellets, I would like to know. I know wood pellets are used in heating systems, but I suspect the fuel for that isn't suitable for cooking?

Will post results from weekend.
BintanMan
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby PyroBoris » 20 Jun 2016, 11:00

Hey BintMan,

I'm soon to be a proud owner of an Uuni as well! :)

How were your results from the weekend? (admittedly aaaages ago)

I haven't got any pellets on order as yet, did you (or anyone else) find a suitable/cheaper alternative?

Looking forward to my first wood fired pizza! :D
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Jul 2016, 19:27

I had wood fired pizza yesterday and couldn't tell it was wood fired at all. As in no obvious smokey taste. Is it supposed to have a smokey taste?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Butt